cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco ip phone upgrade fireware whether can use third-part tftp-server to do it?

visualauthor
Level 1
Level 1

cisco ip phone upgrade fireware whether can use third-part tftp-server to do it?

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long as the third-party TFTP server can understand Option 150.

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

While you can use a third party tftp server to load the actual files on to the phones, the whole process is more that just uploading firmwares. The IP phone needs to talk to cucm to know that it should upgrade its firmware. All of this process happens at the same time. If you point your ip phone to a 3rd party tftp server, I doubt if it will work. The phone wont be able to download its configuration files, hence wont know if it needs to upgrade its firmware or not..

Please rate all useful posts

Actually, it can be less complicated than that, if you use CUCM the phones have a load server parameter which tells them where to look ONLY for FW, and not for all it's config.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Dragan Ilic
Level 4
Level 4

I wouldn't go so deep with this - if you know your current version of firmware and had downloaded newer than that on your PC then you can use tftpd32 and factory reset phone and upload newer firmware on device without CM...very straight forward...

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Dear Dragan

you mean that if i just use tftp-server to upgrade the latest firewares of the cisco iphone without CCM is ok ?

Best regards

Kenneth zhang

On this link:

http://draganchilly.blogspot.com/2014/02/cisco-ip-phone-recovery-procedure.html

there is recovery procedure explained...but as I said you can use same procedure just to install newer firmware on IP phone. Just use hard factory reset code and then with tftpd32 provide newer firmware and phone will download it...

I'm pretty sure that it will work...

BR,
Dragan

HTH,
Dragan