cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IPT and a dell switch

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all, good to be back in the forums again. I have a question. I have a customer that has a cisco switch that is full, but they also have a dell switch (3554 I think it was) that is used for computers only that is tied into the 3560 switch. This customer has one extra phone that has been added, and again, no place on the cisco switch to plug it in. I have a power injector, and I want to see if I can plug it into the dell switch. My question is, do I have to be running the SIP protocol, or can I run SCCP on the phone and have this connected to the dell switch? The phone used SCCP now, but I havent been able to get it to work at this point. However, I do think its because I need to do a trunk port between the dell and 3560 switch to get to the callmanager express. Anyone with any insight on this, or have you ever done IPT with a dell switch before? Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

sebastiandm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I dont think this would be a problem at all. I have a client with CME and dell switches and it works fine. Just check there arent any access-lists/firewalls blocking the sccp port 2000 and you will be fine.

So you dont think I would 'have' to use SIP? I dont 'think' I do either, but Im not 100% sure. I just think at this point I need to get the vlans and trunking right between the dell and cisco, and then it should work. But, someone suggested to me that I had to use SIP, but thats really what I need to verify.

You definitely do not need to use SIP. As long as the phone on the Dell switch can send IP packets to the CCM server and other IP phones you will be ok.

The ideal would be to get a trunk link between the two switches so that you can put the IP phone into the same VLAN as the others (assuming you have data and voice VLANs) on the Cisco switch.

If this is not possible then you could put the new IP phone onto a port on the Dell switch (which I assume is connected to the Cisco switch using a non trunk link in the data VLAN) and edit the phone settings to enable "Alternate TFTP" and to enter a static value for "TFTP server 1".

This would allow the phone to boot in the data VLAN using DHCP (assume this scope has no option 150 (or 66) set) and to get its config from the CCM server.

As long as there is routing set up between the data and voice VLANs this should work. You can then sort out the inter-switch trunking at a later time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: