Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco/Linksys SPA 2102 second line configuration on same number?

On the SPA 2102, there are two phoneports / lines provided.

Each port is rated at 2 RENs.  What I would like to be able to do is to use both lines for the same VOIP number in order to connect a phone to each line and have them use the same phone number.  Initially I plan to have a Hardwired phone and a cordless phone setup which I could connect to a double socket adaptor.  But later I would like to install several hardwired phones around the house and don't want to overload the device.

Any feedback would be apprecieted.

1 REPLY

Re: Cisco/Linksys SPA 2102 second line configuration on same num

I use SPA 2102 in our network. I've thousands of this phone adapters. From data sheet you can see that the Maximum Ringer Load is 3 REN.
A REN, ringer equivalence number, is the number which specifies the electrical ringing load supported from a line.
Only old telephone ringing circuits have a REN of 1. Modern phone equipments may be significantly lower than 1 because they use external power supply, digital ringer, etc. A medium value of REN is 0,1.
So you can configure a single line and connect many phones without problem. You can also configure the same number on both lines but in this way yuo have a busy line only with two concurrent calls.

We have connected up to 5 cordless to a Linksys SPA without problem.

Views
Helpful
Replies