cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Router PRI Issue

melinda.clancy
Level 1
Level 1

On this router, there are two ATT PRI's.  No configuration changes have been made on this router.  Every 30 minutes both PRI's go down.  The T1's are up, but Layer 2 goes to TEI=0, Ces=1, SAPI=0,State = Timer_Recovery, then Awaiting _Establishment, then TEI_assigned.  This will be for 5 minutes, then the PRI's come back up, stay for 30 minutes and then down 5.  I have checked  - sh controller T1, no errors.  The clocking is set and has been set, to clock off ATT since 7 years ago and never a problem.  Once again no errors in controller T1.

I have several calls into ATT and waiting on callback.  I feel like this is a carrier issue, maybe clocking has been changed on their side?  But then again, no errors in controller T1.

Does anybody have any idea what could be the problem if not the carrier?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Melinda

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Possibly the only counter that could give you a clue is the "unavail seconds" increasing on your E1 controller (show controller e1). Either way, what you are telling me, this has telco related issue all over it,

Tell your provider to pull thier finger out and start looking at it seriously.

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below. 

View solution in original post

Definitely get onto your telco

chuck.brule
Level 4
Level 4

Be careful. Path Code violations usually indicate some Layer-1 issue with the PRI service.

It's most likely the Telco at work here, but you should validate your wiring from Demarc to the router in order to prove out your own gear.

Good luck!

Chuck

Hi Clancy,

You can ask Service Provider to connect BERT Meter at your end and take a loop from Telco End. This would check the media.

regds,

aman

Hi Clancy,

What is the router model u are using ? Did u ever booted the router from a Flash other than it had originally.

It seems the router is working with a PCMCIA Flash which has been taken out from another router and has been inserted in this router.That is the reason , it is asking to format .

regds,

aman

9 Replies 9

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Possibly the only counter that could give you a clue is the "unavail seconds" increasing on your E1 controller (show controller e1). Either way, what you are telling me, this has telco related issue all over it,

Tell your provider to pull thier finger out and start looking at it seriously.

Thank you!!!!  This is strange, I did finally get some errors from the "sh controller T1", but not as many as I would expect. 

1 PRI has 80 path code violations and 1 severely err seconds and the other PRI - 1 slip secs and 1 errored secs.  This is still happening moving towards the 30 hour mark.  I am once again on hold for the 6th time to attempt to have them test.  I just got to have them on the phone when it goes down.  The problem is getting to them.

I will update when I finally get an answer from the carrier.

Once again thanks for agreeing that it a telco issue.

Definitely get onto your telco

chuck.brule
Level 4
Level 4

Be careful. Path Code violations usually indicate some Layer-1 issue with the PRI service.

It's most likely the Telco at work here, but you should validate your wiring from Demarc to the router in order to prove out your own gear.

Good luck!

Chuck

Hi Clancy,

You can ask Service Provider to connect BERT Meter at your end and take a loop from Telco End. This would check the media.

regds,

aman

melinda.clancy
Level 1
Level 1

It does appear that every time a call is received I get the following errors.  I did look at Cisco and thought I had seen this should not be causing the PRI to restart.

ISDN Se2/1:23**ERROR**: Ux_BadMsg:Invalid message for call state 10, call id 0x446, call ref 0x8062, event 0x83

ISDN  **ERROR**: Module-l3_sdl_u  Function-Ux_BadMsg  Error-Source ID =  400  Event =  83

just 5 minutes ago (1st time) this weird message a%PCMCIAFS-5-DIBERR: PCMCIA disk 1 is formatted from a different router or PC. A format in this router is required before an image can be booted from this device

Hi Clancy,

What is the router model u are using ? Did u ever booted the router from a Flash other than it had originally.

It seems the router is working with a PCMCIA Flash which has been taken out from another router and has been inserted in this router.That is the reason , it is asking to format .

regds,

aman

melinda.clancy
Level 1
Level 1

Aman,

The router is a 3725 and  is scheduled to get upgraded soon.  To my knownledge, it has it's original flash, but I am not the only person that has taken care of this router.  The other two folks have moved on to other companies and that has been at least 5 years ago.

But these issues would not cause my PRI's to bounce??

After waiting from Tuesday to 2:00am this morning, now the carrier wants to send a tech out to use the tester.

I will update.

Thank you all for your assistance and replies.

Melinda

Everyone,

So finally last evening at 11 pm, I was finally about to reach someone that would help me on the carrier side.  He took one of the PRI's completely down only to think he had not fixed the issue.  I received a call at 2 am, that the carrier wanted to dispatch.  I watched the PRI's until 3 am and again starting at 6 am with no issue.  Yea, cleared while testing.  I am still watching as of 12pm and not one PRI restart. 

I am going to mark this as a question answered with great backup.

Thanks,

Mel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: