Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Soft phone traffic path

Brendan Marmont
Level 1
Level 1

Just some clarrification required

My understanding is unlike IP desk phones that have a dedicated vlan as per below, the soft phone traffic will go over our data network?

We have compression appliances that sit between us and the provider that exclude our vx subnets, what ports would I need to exclude for the voice traffic?

Should the mls qos trust device cisco-phone be replaced with the soft phone equivilent?

interface GigabitEthernet0/4

switchport access vlan 16

switchport voice vlan 106

srr-queue bandwidth share 10 10 60 20

srr-queue bandwidth shape 10 0 0 0

queue-set 2

priority-queue out

mls qos trust device cisco-phone

mls qos trust dscp

auto qos voip cisco-phone

spanning-tree portfast

Thanks in advance!

Brendan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Correct, softphone traffic will run over your data vlan, you need include your SCCP port TCP 2000, or SIP TCP/UDP 5060 if running SIP firmware, as  to the RTP traffic it uses UDP ports 16384 32767.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You don't need any QoS configuration on switches. Doing that will only cause drops and other unexpected problems.

Limit QoS config, if really needed, to routers or devices facing WAN.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Correct, softphone traffic will run over your data vlan, you need include your SCCP port TCP 2000, or SIP TCP/UDP 5060 if running SIP firmware, as  to the RTP traffic it uses UDP ports 16384 32767.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks guys thats what I was after! I will add the ports mentioned and see how we go.

Chris, what does SCCP port TCP 2000 do as a description for our rule? We don't use SIP from this site so excluding UDP 16384-32767 should be all I need to exclude correct? Thanks Brendan

This is signaling port for Skinny traffic, so if you are using Skinny phones use port 2000, if SIP use 5060.

Keep in mind there is other traffic to/from phone, such as TFTP, HTTP for web services, directories, etc.

Here is docuemnt listing all ports:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/port/8_5_1/portlist851.html

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: