cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SX20's and Presence

Paul McGurn
Level 6
Level 6

We have a CUCM 9.1 deployment with on-prem presence.  We have a few SX20 Telepresence units that are registered to CUCM.  I have enabled them for Presence so that users can see when they are "On a call", but because they don't log in to CUPS, they always appear as "Offline".  Is there a way to override this behavior so that the SX20's will appear as Online when they are registered to CUCM?

This is in effort to allow users to add the SX20 users to their contact lists in Jabber.  Since the SX20's always appear as offline, the users have to show offline contacts in order to see them the list (even though that are technically online).

15 Replies 15

erickscisco
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone have a fix or work around for this?

Russ LaPlante
Level 1
Level 1

I suspect there should be a way to make the presence/status feature of the SX series integrate gracefully with the Presence system in UCM.

Does anyone know where we can find documentation for this situation?

Thanks, Russ

mrogerspt
Level 4
Level 4

So no update from anyone?  We are having the same problem...  FWIW, I found an experimental setting on the SX20's (TC7.3.1) named "Presence Mode", but of course god forbid Cisco document what it does...

I've engaged TAC and am spending a good chunk of time on trying to find a solution.  I will post it back to this thread if I succeed.

AFAIK that is actually the expected behavior, just as any other phone, it only changes the status when it goes off-hook and then it will show as such, at any other time, it will show as offline.

To get it to show the status at any time, it would need to actually register to IM&P, as a Jabber client.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hey Jamie,

Thanks for the reply.  While I agree with you on a "this is a phone system" level and that's how a phone would operate, I hoped (and am still hoping) that Cisco built in an intelligent way to handle video endpoints. This is particularly frustrating because they are aggressively nudging customers to go the CUCM path and unfortunately, IMHO, CUCM isn't ready to properly handle video endpoints.    

Maybe VCS didn't provide this functionality either, but to put it in perspective, Polycom figured it out with CMA/RPRM and they quite possibly have the shittiest written software/platform out of everyone.  

Sounds like this will just be another FR on my list of many.

Cheers,

Matt

hi Jaime,

did I understand it correctly that there is no way to see SX presence like "online", "away", "busy" and so on?

sorry for bumping old thread.

thanks!

Exactly i am also thinking the same?

hi Siva,

what do you mean? do you have a similar problem?

Correct, this is a phone with no Jabber, so all you get is either offline or on a call.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

thanks for the quick answer Jaime!

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Add dummy users in like Meeting_Room1, Room2 etc and associated the relevant SX20extensions with these users. so people can add them as contacts in Jabber, it will show as soon as the go off hook.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hey Dennis,

I should have mentioned that all these endpoints are tied back to AD users (both assigned and Digest).

The "On a Call" status works just fine.  My issues is that the unit should be presenting it's status as available when it's online and ping-able.  

If you look at the Touch 8 or 10 you'll see Available, Do Not disturb, etc as an option for unit status.  That status should be sent to Call Manager and subscribed to a a Presence Group.

dominikdurrer
Level 1
Level 1

I got the same issue/request. Still no way get the SX10/SX20 to show up as Online in the Jabber contact list?

We have the same issue as well. The VCS/Movi setup would show codecs when they were online and registered, however CUCM / Jabber does not. I understand a codec does not actually sign into Jabber and thus, show available, but surely there is a way to accomplish this. Our setup is also using AD accounts and are associated to the codecs in CUCM so they'll show on a call, but we're also looking for a way to have them show as available when registered. I like the idea previously mentioned to possibly have the touch tablets send their status to IMP. 

Our environment is healthcare related so our doctors find it helpful to see the unit is actually online and ready to accept calls. Any other ideas someone has would be great. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: