cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco UC 500 voice system compatibility with poe switch from other manufacturer?

htsbbaker1
Level 1
Level 1

Will a Cisco UC 500 voice system work with a poe switch from another manufacturer?  Customer has poe switch already installed and doesn't want to purchase another switch unless a necessity to get full-featured use of the Cisco voice system.  Which Cisco switch with poe and 48 ports would you recommend in this case?  Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is important that you use a Cisco switch, otherwise CDP will not work, and you will have a lot of issues, among which being unable to separate voice and data VLANs.

View solution in original post

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, it can work with just about any switch.  A good affordable Cisco solution is the SGE2010P.  It is a 48 port Gig, POE switch and even better- can do layer 3 so you can route VLANS without needing a router.  It is not IOS based, but has a web GUI that allows you to configure everything.

It is easily $4-$5K dollars cheaper than a comparable IOS based Cisco Switch with the same features.

One warning is that it can take a long time to configure through the slow web GUI.  If you are comfortable with command line programming it has an unsupported CLI that has worked very well for me.  http://www.megabot.nl/wp/?p=57

Brandon

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

Hey Paolo!  You got me by 3 minutes

Good point about CDP, if you don't know too much about building VLANs and trunks and configuring the IP phones you may save time and money by just using the recommended switch CE500, I think?

Brandon

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is important that you use a Cisco switch, otherwise CDP will not work, and you will have a lot of issues, among which being unable to separate voice and data VLANs.

Hey Paolo!  You got me by 3 minutes

Good point about CDP, if you don't know too much about building VLANs and trunks and configuring the IP phones you may save time and money by just using the recommended switch CE500, I think?

Brandon

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, it can work with just about any switch.  A good affordable Cisco solution is the SGE2010P.  It is a 48 port Gig, POE switch and even better- can do layer 3 so you can route VLANS without needing a router.  It is not IOS based, but has a web GUI that allows you to configure everything.

It is easily $4-$5K dollars cheaper than a comparable IOS based Cisco Switch with the same features.

One warning is that it can take a long time to configure through the slow web GUI.  If you are comfortable with command line programming it has an unsupported CLI that has worked very well for me.  http://www.megabot.nl/wp/?p=57

Brandon

Thank you.  I appreciate all of the useful info.

-Brandon Baker