cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity Connection - Critical ntpRunningStatus.sh

JP Babiera
Level 4
Level 4

We have a CUC running as a VMware virtual machine, version 8.6.2.22900-9, we're getting these messages every minute

Primary node NTP server, 10.64.255.31, is currently inaccessible or down. Verify the network between the primary and secondary nodes.  Check the status of NTP on both the primary and secondary nodes via CLI 'utils ntp status'.  If the network is fine, try restarting NTP using CLI 'utils ntp restart'. 

I've restarted the NTP server, I've restarted the CUC, and it is still coming up.  Logging into the WebUI - OS Administration > Settings > NTP Servers, and it shows the NTP server is accessible.  However, I've seen this show up as not accessible either after I give it some time.

remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
==============================================================================
 10.64.255.31    129.6.15.28          16 u   97  128    0    0.926    0.024   0.000
 132.236.56.250  192.5.41.209     2 u   18   64  177   76.877   -3.557   0.441
*192.5.41.209    .PTP.            1 u   17   64  177   81.652    0.052   0.434

Our CUCM, also virtual, is running with the same configurations and we haven't seen any issues with it.  I finally removed the 10.64.255.31 NTP server and the error messages seem to have gone away.  Any ideas as to why this keeps sending Critical alert messages? 

Thanks,

JP Babiera

4 Replies 4

davrojas
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Ubisec_JBabiera,

Make sure that your NTP device is Linux and not Windows based. This is related to https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCte17541/?reffering_site=dumpcr

Make sure your virtual machine is not synchronizing the following:  Right click on CUC VM> Edit settings> Options tab> VMware tools> Advanced Synchronize guest time with host .

Regards,

Deibiddo

Thanks for the link, davrojas, but the device used for NTP actually isn't Windows or Linux, but a Cisco 3560 switch.  I know about this thread (https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11232431/3560-ntp-server), but it doesn't make sense that only this one CUC is having this issue.  

We have other CUCs in the environment using a 3560 as an NTP master w/o any issues.  The problem just started w/o any environment changes, and after being in production for at least 6 months.  Anyway, we're using a public stratum 2 NTP server for now.  We may a Nexus switch down the road, but it will have to wait until we update it to 6.x.

Thanks,

JP

Hi JP,

Do the system logs reveal any additional information? 

Hi Davrojas,

I had opened a ticket with TAC on this and they didn't find anything in the RTMT log files.  The recommendation to me was just that, using a different NTP master.  I haven't had time to look further into this issue since.

JP