Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Unity Connection v. 9.1(1a) failed to install

Velin Tsekov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I built a VM using a downloaded OVA template for CUC 9.1(0) although my CUC disk version is 9.1(1a). This OVA template is the last one uploated at cisco.com, and the installation fails with a critical stop. Please refer to the attached file for the reason of the failure.

I built this VM on a UCS C200 M2 server running ESXi 5.0. On this server I have two CUCMs that work correctly.

Any tips on how to resolve this issue? I have read a couple discussion with a similar symptoms, but for a CUCM installation on ESXi, not for CUC.

27 Replies 27

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Velin,

For Unity Connection VM one CPU core must be idle/unused (it is actually being used by ESXi scheduler).

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Sizing_Guidelines

This could be the issue.

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

Highly appreciate your promt response. OK, for that reason I have installed the second one CPU which is Intel Xeon E5649 2.53GHz, but I thought that the OVA template automaticaly allocate one vCPU for the CUC APP and 1 vCPU which puts in the idle state. As you can see in the attached pictures the OVA allocated only one vCPU and in addition I have hyperthreading enabled. Do you think this can cause the issue? When I tried to allocated two vCPUs for the CUC I receive an issue for not supported CUC.

P.S. I have affinity for that machine.

Hi Velin,

Can u disable Hyperthreading and check?

regds,

aman

Unfortunatelly not now, 'cause it want a ESXi restart. Based on cisco docs I can see that they recommends to be enabled If available:

If "Hyper-threading" BIOS option is available (and the CPU supports hyper-threading), UC recommends enabling.

Note that the resultant "Logical Cores" do not factor into UC sizing rules for co-residency. UC still requires mapping one physical core to one vcpu core (not to one "Logical Core").

Hi Velin,

I was just reading Hyperthreading which says :

Hyper-Threading

is a technology included by Intel first in their Netburst line of parts. Hyper-Threaded processors present their individual processing cores to the system as if they are two processing cores. To use Intel's parlance, that means that each

physical core appears in the operating system as two logical cores. While the OS can distinguish between a system that has two logical cores (i.e. a single physical core with Hyper-Threading enabled) and two physical cores, applications cannot.

regds,

aman

No, that extra CPU you need for CUC is not allocated by the OVA, you need to do the math of how many cores on on VMs + 1 <= total cores on server

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

CPU Cores: 12 CPUs x 2.533 GHz

Prorcessor Sockets: 2

Cores per Socket: 6

Logical Processors: 24

Hyper-threading enabled. Currently I am using around 10 vCPUs, so I have a lot of idle vCPUs.

Hi Velin,

Just refer this POST which might help.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3904604#3904604

regds,

aman

Unfortunately failed again.

I am going to install CUC 8.6, but I have user licesnes for CUC 9.x. Do you know if they are backward compatible? I have ELM installed on another server.

Hi Velin,

Licenses are not backward compatible.

What was the error message u got ?

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

Attached you can find three screenshots:

1. CUC Info

2. CUC State before failed

3. CUC Error

The installation process continues around 4-5 hrs and faild after this process (screen shot 2).

Maybe I should open a TAC  case. I have a valid service contract.

Hi Velin,

You have missed the screenshots.

Please attach them.If u have a valid contract,u can go ahead with opening of the case.

regds,

aman

Sorry, you can find them below:

1. CUC Info

2. CUC State before failed

3.CUC Error

Hi Velin,

I can still find VCPU as one which should be two.

Anyway please open the case and clear our doubts.

regds,

aman