cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

clustring CUCM over wan, What best practice should i do ?

I have 9 site connected over WAN and each site with one CUCM 8.5,i know that in clustering 8 call processing server at max,so i have a publisher and 8 subscriber .

what best practice for this topology ,call processing enabled on publisher and he will be the backup of branch users in a group of two and HQ site with one branch site will use the publisher for primary ,centralizing TFTP server is a good idea ?what's your advice.

thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

How many phones do you have. Yes you can use Local CUCM subscriber as call processing unit for that branch and keep HQ publisher as backup of for those branch. You can run TFTP service on all the subscriber also, to reduce latency between Ip phone and TFTP server.

With Unified CM 6.1 and later  releases, the TFTP server can perform a local database read from the  database on its co-resident subscriber server. Local database read not  only provides benefits such as the preservation of user-facing features  when the publisher in unavailable, but also allows multiple TFTP servers  to be distributed by means of clustering over the WAN. (The same  latency rules for clustering over the WAN apply to TFTP servers as to  servers with registered phones.) This configuration brings the TFTP  service closer to the endpoints, thus reducing latency and ensuring  failure isolation between the sites.

But you have to keep in mind publisher should not be over loaded in case of failure of subscriber. SO you have to keep in mind the number of ip phones also.

Also it would be good to confugre QOS for ICCS traffic.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Please rate helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Adrian Saavedra
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

You can follow what is described in the UCM SRDN. Read chapter about the Cluster over WAN here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/models.html#wp1043996

Good luck!, Please rate if it does.

Kind regards,

- Adrian.

Hi

How many phones do you have. Yes you can use Local CUCM subscriber as call processing unit for that branch and keep HQ publisher as backup of for those branch. You can run TFTP service on all the subscriber also, to reduce latency between Ip phone and TFTP server.

With Unified CM 6.1 and later  releases, the TFTP server can perform a local database read from the  database on its co-resident subscriber server. Local database read not  only provides benefits such as the preservation of user-facing features  when the publisher in unavailable, but also allows multiple TFTP servers  to be distributed by means of clustering over the WAN. (The same  latency rules for clustering over the WAN apply to TFTP servers as to  servers with registered phones.) This configuration brings the TFTP  service closer to the endpoints, thus reducing latency and ensuring  failure isolation between the sites.

But you have to keep in mind publisher should not be over loaded in case of failure of subscriber. SO you have to keep in mind the number of ip phones also.

Also it would be good to confugre QOS for ICCS traffic.

Regards

Ronak Patel

Please rate helpful posts.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

my client have 500 ip phone and predict to 1200,

i'm ok with you that the publisher should not be over loaded ,but 200 ip phone are in the site where the publisher will be

if i will not use it for call processing it will be an over load on the wan bendwidth .for TFTP as you say bring it closer will reduc the latency,so what you say is 200 ip phone much for a publisher ?

about QOS for ICCS traffic should i make on the router by using an extended ACL that match call manager ip address? of CUCM 8.6 have already this fetures ?

thanks.

Your best bet is to read carefully the SRND as suggested above by Adrian. The capcity of a server depends largely on the model of the server. Eg a 7815 server can support about 500 phones, a 7825 I think its 1,500 phones...So I suggest you read the SRND and then understand clearly what you want to do and do it as detailed in there

Please rate all useful posts

abderrahmane,

If the cluster includes 8 Call Processing nodes ( subscribers ), best practice is to keep Publisher out of call processing. i.e. dont run CUCM service on it. If you will have 200 phones at the publisher site, try to register them to nearest site which has one of the 8 subscribers but not register them locally to Pub. SRST router can back it up in case of loosing connection with one of the Sub's.

GP.

Pls rate helpful posts !!