Views
Helpful
Replies

CM 4.1(3) and Pickup Group Behaviour

rcoote5902_2
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I work for a school division and each school's office staff are set up pretty much the same. 7960 phones, each with their own internal DN and usually 3-4 DN's that are shared as these are tied to external DID's.

Example:

Secretary 1:

Line 1 - 1401

Line 2 - 1491

Line 3 - 1492

Line 4 - 1493

Secretary 2:

Line 1 - 1402

Line 2 - 1491

Line 3 - 1492

Line 4 - 1493

The staff are all in the same call pickup group so if one is away from their desk they can each answer it. Now from my understanding and seeing how the pickup groups work, if a call comes in on a shared line any phone that has that DN assigned to it will see the call on the display and be able to answer it directly.

For a call going to the unique DN (Line 1) someone else can answer that call but only by using the Pickup feature and then answering the call.

I have a user who insists that she was able to see the call display information when an internal call rang on the unique DN on someone elses's phone. She says that she did not have to previously use the Pickup button. ie: 1401 rings on Secretary 1's phone. Secretary 2 says that she should be able to see the call on her phone as well, and the caller ID and be able to pick up the call directly, not using Pickup.

We have of course made no changes to her phone or the setup at this school but she insists that is how it worked 'before'.

In my experience because her phone does not share that DN, there is no way she would get the call displayed on her phone without using the Pickup feature. Am I wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Robert,

These are always very tough situations when a user is positive that something worked one way, that you know could never have happened. Call Pickup will only show the call display info after the call has been answered, even with Audio/Visual notification :( So you are most correct!

But how to mitigate this issue without calling the user out? I always try to take this as an opportunity to meet with the users involved and revamp the current setup. Many times, when sitting down with them a new solution can be arrived at that makes everyone happy. If you have spare line buttons on the phones, them maybe both Secretaries can have each others number on their phone just to make things easier for them.

There's almost always a good solution and you look like a Pro for making their life with phones better. A nice "win-win" goes a long way in the customer service game.

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

Sec 2 may have had a call forward all to Sec 1. The Pick up grp works as you explained. Do yupi have teh caller name, Number ticked in the DN of eiterh Seec 1 or Sec 2 - this changes thE display to something like- Call forwarded to xxxxx from xxxx.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Robert,

These are always very tough situations when a user is positive that something worked one way, that you know could never have happened. Call Pickup will only show the call display info after the call has been answered, even with Audio/Visual notification :( So you are most correct!

But how to mitigate this issue without calling the user out? I always try to take this as an opportunity to meet with the users involved and revamp the current setup. Many times, when sitting down with them a new solution can be arrived at that makes everyone happy. If you have spare line buttons on the phones, them maybe both Secretaries can have each others number on their phone just to make things easier for them.

There's almost always a good solution and you look like a Pro for making their life with phones better. A nice "win-win" goes a long way in the customer service game.

Cheers!

Rob

Rob,

re: spare lines - I was thinking the same thing about adding that line to her phone since it is a 7960 and does have a couple of spares.

You also highlight a great point about user perceptions and mitigating any negativity with their use of the technology.

Thanks for the help!

Rob

Hi Rob,

You are most welcome my friend! Good thinking on the spare buttons, this should make her happy and make you look good too.

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: