Views
Helpful
Replies

CM 4.3 vs UCM 6.1

pkrysinski
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Our company is currently running CM 4.1 on Windows 2000. We are looking at upgrading to Server 2003 with CM 4.3. Before making this move, I was curious if there was any real advantage to upgrading to UCM 6.1 with the Linux operating system? Is there any major feature differences between 4.3 & 6.1? Or is the operating system the only real major change?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tim Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Hi..

4.3 has most of the features you would want these days.

6.1 has the new mobility manager / single number reach which is interesting.

The appliance OS is much nicer to manage. Easier to backup, no windows problems. Much simpler. Fewer patches, much easier upgrades to CallManager, and easier rollbacks.

If your interested in v6.1 you can run it up in a lab environment on VMWare to have a look.

Cheers,

Tim.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Tim Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Hi..

4.3 has most of the features you would want these days.

6.1 has the new mobility manager / single number reach which is interesting.

The appliance OS is much nicer to manage. Easier to backup, no windows problems. Much simpler. Fewer patches, much easier upgrades to CallManager, and easier rollbacks.

If your interested in v6.1 you can run it up in a lab environment on VMWare to have a look.

Cheers,

Tim.

Tim,

Is there, as far as you know, any trick to running 6.1 in VMWare? I have tried the install and get it to about 75% complete, then it dies and upon next reboot VMWare considers the disk image corrupt.

Do you have the magic bullet to help it past that point?

How much disk space are you allocating? Recommend a single virtual disk with 40Gb and at least 1024 Mb of RAM to get through the install.

What processor architecture (AMD/Intel) is running on your host? I have had problems getting the Linux variants installed well under AMD hosts.

Finally, what VMware product are you trying to use? Within VMware, what guest OS are you specifying? Recommend specifying RHE3.