cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CME 4.1 and background images on 7941/61

Bruce Hirayama
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if the CME can display background images on the 7941/61 phones? I already have the 7970 background images working but would also like to have a grayscale version displayed.

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Bruce,

This is possible for the 7941/7961.This info is for CCM (but you already know the process for CME:) Have a look;

Configuring a Background Image

To create custom background images for the Cisco Unified IP Phone, follow these steps:

Procedure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Create two PNG files for each image (a full size version and a thumbnail version). Ensure the PNG files comply with the format guidelines that are listed in the "PNG File Requirements for Custom Background Images" section.

Step 2 Place the new PNG files that you created in the following folder on the TFTP server for each Cisco Unified CallManager in the cluster:

C:\Program Files\Cisco\TFTPPath\Desktops\320x196x4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note Cisco recommends that you also store backup copies of custom image files in another location. You can use these backup copies if the customized files are overwritten when you upgrade Cisco Unified CallManager.

Step 3 Use a text editor to edit the List.xml file. See the "List.xml File Format Requirements" section for the location of this file, formatting requirements, and a sample file.

Step 4 Save your modifications and close the List.xml file.

Note When you upgrade Cisco Unified CallManager, a default List.xml file will replace your customized List.xml file. After your customize the List.xml file, make a copy of the file and store it in another location. After upgrading Cisco Unified CallManager, replace the default List.xml file with your stored copy.

Step 5 To cache the new List.xml file, stop and start the TFTP service by using Cisco Unified CallManager Serviceability or disable and re-enable the Enable Caching of Constant and Bin Files at Startup TFTP service parameter (located in the Advanced Service Parameters).

From this doc for the 7941G/7961G;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080724691.html#wp1030692

Hope this helps! Hang Loose!

Rob

PS: HAWAIIAN TELCOM ahhhhhh sounds like a great gig!

Rob,

Thanks for the reply but just to let you know, this does not work on CME 4.1 with 7961G phones.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Rob's process works the same with CME but obviously there is no c:\program files\.... so you have to setup the tftp server to match the phones requirements.

The number of pixels and colour depth supported by each phone changes, so search for the administration guide for each phone type.

Save the logo, thumbnail logo and the xml on to the routers flash, as the file names are generally the same for each phone type, you will need to place the files in specific directories. For example /c7911/

These are the correct tftp-server statements for each phone type, as you can see I use directories to seperate the files.

The alias option is used to setup the expected directory structure for the IP Phone.

tftp-server flash:/c7970-71/List.xml alias Desktops/320x212x12/List.xml

tftp-server flash:/c7970-71/ColourBG.png alias Desktops/320x212x12/ColourBG.png

tftp-server flash:/c7970-71/ColourTN.png alias Desktops/320x212x12/ColourTN.png

7961-41

tftp-server flash:/c7941-61/List.xml alias Desktops/320x196x4/List.xml

tftp-server flash:/c7941-61/GreyBG.png alias Desktops/320x196x4/GreyBG.png

tftp-server flash:/c7941-61/GreyTN.png alias Desktops/320x196x4/GreyTN.png

7906-11

tftp-server flash:/c7911/List.xml alias Desktops/95x34x1/List.xml

tftp-server flash:/c7911/Grey-7911BG.png alias Desktops/95x34x1/Grey-7911BG.png

tftp-server flash:/c7911/Grey-7911TN.png alias Desktops/95x34x1/Grey-7911TN.png

Each of the alias statements above indicates the image size eg. 95 x 34 pixels and the colour depth 1 (Black and white).

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for filling in the blanks here :) I don't think my reply to Bruce was clear enough and probably a of lack clarity on my part added to the confusion. 5 points for your much better info!

Take care,

Rob

Thanks Mike and Rob, I'll try it again later to see if I can get it working.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: