Views
Helpful
Replies

CME CUBE license for connection to SIP provider

Andrei Fokin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

Whether the CUBE license for trunk between CME (with SCCP phones) and SIP provider is necessary? I read "Implementing Cisco Voice Communications an QoS" Student Guide (volume 3) and see at key features that CUBE provides internetworking for h323 and SIP protocols. In our case then we established call between SCCP phone and PSTN (through SIP provider) we have only one voip leg (dial-peer to SCCP phones - is POTS type!!). It mean that CUBE license not necessary?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Andrei,

You are right..all you will need are CCME licenses as your CME router is not functioning as a CUBE in this scenario.

According to SIP documentation, CUBE supports the ff features

Protocol and signal interworking

• H.323 to H.323 (including Cisco Unified Communications Manager)

• H.323 to SIP (including Cisco Unified Communications Manager)

• SIP to SIP (including Cisco Unified Communications Manager)

• SIP to SIP (including Cisco TelePresence® calls

So since in your scenario you will be doing SCCP to SIP and SIP to SCCP (pots dial-peer) you wouldnt be needing a CUBE.

You can read more about CUBE here..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/product_data_sheet09186a00801da698.html

Pls rate useful posts

Please rate all useful posts

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Andrei,

Just to add a note to the great info from my friend Deji (+5 "D" )

I thought might like seeing these threads;

From Felipe;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3201920#3201920

From Abu;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3076778#3076778

Cheers!

Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

Hi all,

From the CME ordering guide:

3.7 Adding SIP Trunks

Customers who deploy SIP trunks with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express must purchase SIP trunk licenses. The licenses are right-to-use licenses, and they give you the right to deploy and use the SIP trunking feature with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express. Table 11 lists the SIP trunking license for Cisco ISR and ISR G2 routers.

Sample 3 - Ordering Cisco 3945 with Cisco Unified CME for 225 Users and SIP Trunking

In this example, the customer wishes to deploy a Cisco 3945 with Cisco Unified CME for 225 users. The customer will also be deploying Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) trunking for PSTN connectivity. For the users, the customer will also be deploying 50 Cisco Unified IP Phone 9971 and 175 Cisco Unified IP Phone 7965 endpoints. First, the customer needs to order part number C3945-CME-SRST/K9, which provides a Cisco 3945 Voice bundle with a packet voice video DSP module (PVDM3-64), a Cisco IOS Software feature license for 25 users (FL-CME-SRST25), and a UC License PAK. Next, the customer needs to order a zero-cost top-level SKU, FL-CME, as indicated in Table 2. Because the part number C3945-CME- SRST/K9 comes with only 25 user feature licenses and the customer wishes to deploy 225 IP phones, the customer needs to order two spares (FL-CME-SRST-100=) so that the feature license count adds up to 225 users. Additionally, the customer must order 175 Cisco Unified IP Phone 7965G (CP-7965G) endpoints, 100 Cisco Unified IP Phone 7965G spares (SW-CCME-UL-7965=), 50 Cisco Unified IP Phone 7971 (CP-9971) endpoints, and 50 spares (SW-CCME-UL-9971=); refer to Table 7 for a list of phone license SKUs. Finally, the customer must order two spare feature licenses (FL-CUBEE-25=) for support of up to 50 SIP trunking sessions.

Has something changed or is this an error?

Chris

10 Replies 10

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Andrei,

You are right..all you will need are CCME licenses as your CME router is not functioning as a CUBE in this scenario.

According to SIP documentation, CUBE supports the ff features

Protocol and signal interworking

• H.323 to H.323 (including Cisco Unified Communications Manager)

• H.323 to SIP (including Cisco Unified Communications Manager)

• SIP to SIP (including Cisco Unified Communications Manager)

• SIP to SIP (including Cisco TelePresence® calls

So since in your scenario you will be doing SCCP to SIP and SIP to SCCP (pots dial-peer) you wouldnt be needing a CUBE.

You can read more about CUBE here..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/product_data_sheet09186a00801da698.html

Pls rate useful posts

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Andrei,

Just to add a note to the great info from my friend Deji (+5 "D" )

I thought might like seeing these threads;

From Felipe;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3201920#3201920

From Abu;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3076778#3076778

Cheers!

Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

Karthik Sivaram
Level 4
Level 4

hi Andre,

Just to add...

CUBE feature is a a paper license and need not be manually installed.

Please refer to following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/order_guide_c07_462222.html

2.1 Cisco Unified Border Element and Cisco Gatekeeper License Types

Two types of Cisco Unified Border Element licenses are available:

Pay-as-You-Grow, or session count, license

Platform, or flat, license

Cisco Unified Border Element licenses are available in both types on select platforms. Cisco Gatekeeper licenses are available in the platform license type only.

2.1.1 Pay-as-You-Grow License

This type of license covers the right to use the feature as well as the maximum session count allowed. An example is the FL-CUBE-25 license, which allows up to 25 sessions.

This license is designed to allow a specific number of sessions (or calls) on a platform. Purchase only as many sessions as are required in your deployment. You can add more licenses later as your needs expand, thus offering pay-as-you-grow benefits. Session licenses are stackable. These licenses are available on select platforms as given in Table 3, and are available on all software images. Examples include the FL-CUBE-4 and FL-CUBEE-100 licenses.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Karthik

Hi all,

From the CME ordering guide:

3.7 Adding SIP Trunks

Customers who deploy SIP trunks with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express must purchase SIP trunk licenses. The licenses are right-to-use licenses, and they give you the right to deploy and use the SIP trunking feature with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express. Table 11 lists the SIP trunking license for Cisco ISR and ISR G2 routers.

Sample 3 - Ordering Cisco 3945 with Cisco Unified CME for 225 Users and SIP Trunking

In this example, the customer wishes to deploy a Cisco 3945 with Cisco Unified CME for 225 users. The customer will also be deploying Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) trunking for PSTN connectivity. For the users, the customer will also be deploying 50 Cisco Unified IP Phone 9971 and 175 Cisco Unified IP Phone 7965 endpoints. First, the customer needs to order part number C3945-CME-SRST/K9, which provides a Cisco 3945 Voice bundle with a packet voice video DSP module (PVDM3-64), a Cisco IOS Software feature license for 25 users (FL-CME-SRST25), and a UC License PAK. Next, the customer needs to order a zero-cost top-level SKU, FL-CME, as indicated in Table 2. Because the part number C3945-CME- SRST/K9 comes with only 25 user feature licenses and the customer wishes to deploy 225 IP phones, the customer needs to order two spares (FL-CME-SRST-100=) so that the feature license count adds up to 225 users. Additionally, the customer must order 175 Cisco Unified IP Phone 7965G (CP-7965G) endpoints, 100 Cisco Unified IP Phone 7965G spares (SW-CCME-UL-7965=), 50 Cisco Unified IP Phone 7971 (CP-9971) endpoints, and 50 spares (SW-CCME-UL-9971=); refer to Table 7 for a list of phone license SKUs. Finally, the customer must order two spare feature licenses (FL-CUBEE-25=) for support of up to 50 SIP trunking sessions.

Has something changed or is this an error?

Chris

Hello, Chris.

In that case in our country say proverb -  "and that we also didn't see an elephant". Thank you for post. Your answer is very accurate.

I have deleted my answer ......

I think I will refrain from commenting on Cisco licensing issues in the future.

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I honestly would love the cisco guys to comment on this...

Why will I need to buy a CUBE license when I am not doing CUBE. If Cisco wants us to buy a license to use for SIP trunking with CCME then it should be called a SIP trunk License not a CUBE license. Are we saying then that SIP trunk and CUBE are the same. Are we also saying that the moment I enabled "session protocol sip" on a dial-peer, the whole router has becoome A CUBE device.

Then can someone please define what a CUBE is...Can the cisco guys please redefine what our understanding of a CUBE is and when and where we need a CUBE license..

Aok, I agree with you 100%, however from a very relevant document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/order_guide_c07_462222.html

you can add SIP trunk capability (requiring Cisco  Unified Border Element functions) to Cisco Unified Communications  Manager Express (CME)

I promise this is my last post on the subject:

Hey guys!

Help me out clear my doubts. Youre trying to say that basically if I have a CME that connects to a Service Provider via a SIP Trunk to reach another Branch's CME (same company), I have to buy the licence of CUBE for the number of sessions I want?

If I have UC licence, CME Licence and T1/E1 interfaces, wont that let me configure all the SIP Trunks I desire and therefore configure point to point SIP Trunks between Branches?

Please some help!

Thank you!

Sincerely

Dante V.

Dante,

The SIP trunk license is for PSTN connectivity. From the documentation...

In this example, the customer wishes to deploy a Cisco 3945 with Cisco Unified CME for 225 users. The customer will also be deploying Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) trunking for PSTN connectivity

The question is this...What is PSNT connectivity. If you are connecting to an ITSP to connect to your branches, I believe thats simply an MPLS network. However if you are connecting to an ITSP to make PSTN calls, then thats PSTN connectivity and yes you will need a CUBE license for that

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: