Views
Helpful
Replies

CME Dial Peer beginning with *

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All,

We have a site where there are now lots of in country external numbers beginning with either 3 or 4 digits which begin with a * (e.g *234 or *4567 etc..). Can this be incorporated into a dial peer beginning with * or do I need to implement this in a different way?

14 Replies 14

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can have a destination-pattern which begins with an *, however, you cannot do two **.

For two ** you would need to use num-exp \*\* instead.

Examples for *8 on a voip DP, *9 on a POTS DP and finally a **3 which routes to 916125551212:

num-exp \*\*3 916125551212

dial-peer voice 1 voip

destination-pattern *8

!

dial-peer voice 2 pots

destination-pattern *9

!

dial-peer voice 3 pots

destination-pattern 91[2-9]..[2-9]......

!

Anthony Holloway

Please use the star ratings to help drive great content to the top of searches.

Hi,

I have the following and doing some testing but the call is failing.

dial-peer voice 50 pots

corlist outgoing callnational

tone ringback alert-no-PI

description NumbersStartingWith*

destination-pattern 9*T

progress_ind progress enable 8

port 0/0/0:15

prefix *

If I dial 9*8080 (which is one of the in country numbers - 8080) I get message from the telecom provider saying incorrect number basically.
If I want to dial *8080 over my pots line should the above peer work or am I missing something?

If you are sending the * to the telecom provider, then you need to know if that is acceptanble or not.

Also, what does the command show for you with that configuration:

show dialplan number 9*8080

Anthony Holloway

if I do the following -

I'm assuming it woul be 9*8080 as they need to press 9 for outside line.

CCME-01#sho dialplan number 9*8080

Macro Exp.: 9*8080

No match, result=1

It doesn't seem to be matching my dial peer below.

dial-peer voice 50 pots

corlist outgoing callnational

destination-pattern 9*T

prefix *

My apologies, I typed an 8 by mistake when I meant to type a 9.  I have corrected it above.

Also, the T is what's messing you up.  You would have to do 9*8080 or even 9*....

Anthony Holloway

Just change your destination-pattern to "9\*T" so the "*" will be treated as a digit rather than a wildcard.

That doesn't work on 15.1(4)M1 Brian.  Do you have a version it does work on?

VoiceRouter(config-dial-peer)#destination-pattern 9\*8080

Incorrect format for E.164 Number

regular expression must be of the form  ^[][^0-9,A-F#*.?+%()-]*T?(\$)?$

Anthony Holloway

Hi Guys,

Yeah Brian that's not available on our CME Version.

Anthony - The reason I cannot do 9*.... is that there have hundreds of numbers beginning * but some have 3 digits, some have 4. Meaning if I use 9*.... it's always going to wait for the 4th digit. So I can't dial 3 digits using this way.

Also I can't have two dial peers, one with 9*... and 9*.... as the first one will always get matched (3 digits) meaning the site won't be able to dial the 4 digit numbers beginning with *

Must be a way to do this :-)

Variable length dialplans are always problematic.

This works instead of the T for both 9* + 3 digits and 9* + 4 digits

destination-pattern 9*....?

The ? on the end is entered by pressing CTRL+v first, then ?, otherwise you'll just end up pulling up the help.

And the ? says "zero or one of the preceeding".  Meaning the last digit is optional.

EDIT: Re-read my command and I was one dot short.  Was 3, now it has 4.  Sorry for the confusion.

Anthony Holloway

Hi Anthony,

Have amended the destination-pattern to 9*....? as advised and now when dialing a 4 digit number, e.g 9*8080

It is dropping the last digit so only *808 is being dialled. Means I can't dial 4 digits number..

Mystery continues...

I see you were using prefix *.  What if you chaged this to forward-digits 5?

Anthony Holloway

Just to update on this guys. It turns out the telco provider at that site doesn't actually support the * short dial until they upgrade their own switches in their telecom network. I think the office thought it was standard across the whole PSTN there. So no matter what I done, it wouldn't have worked. The telco are looking to have their infrastructure upgraded in the next week or so. Once done, I will confirm the provided solutions are working or not.

Thanks All.

Hi Guys,

Reviving an old one here. The Telco updated their systems so numbers beginning with *xxx and *xxxx can be dialled from standard telephones across the PSTN.

I have added the following Dial Peer on our CME to test - but when dialling either 9*9000 or 9*9090 the calls do not connect.

Am I missing something here?
Just to recap on this - There are PSTN numbers now begnning with * symbol and I'm trying to be able to dial these from Cisco phones. We use 9 for outside line. I added dial peers for 2 specific *xxxx numbers to test but they do not work.

They DO work from a standard analogue phone.

dial-peer voice 10 pots

preference 1

destination-pattern 9*9000

direct-inward-dial

prefix *

!

dial-peer voice 20 pots

destination-pattern 9*9090

progress_ind setup enable 3

direct-inward-dial

prefix *

A POTS dial-peer will digit strip by default. This means, starting from the left of the number, it will strip all explicitly typed characters from your destination pattern.

In your case, that's all digits.

While you are doing a prefix *, that will simply send an * to the telco, nothing else.

You can simply change your prefix to *9000 and prefix *9090 respectively and test.

Also, do a debug isdn q931 to see what digits you are sending.

Anthony Holloway

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: