cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CME Shared line MWI behaviour?

craig.corbett
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, I have two Phones Ext 201, 202. Both these phones share ext 500.

When a call comes in (ext 500) both phones ring, upon no answer the incoming call will go to voicemail, the issue I have is that the WMI lamp doesn't illuminate . Should the phone MWI lamp light in this scenario?

ephone 5

device-security-mode none

mac-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

type 7911

button 1o10,1

ephone 6

device-security-mode none

mac-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

type 7911

button 1o11,1

ephone-dn 1

number 500

label Outside Line

description mailbox

name Outside Line

call-forward busy 255

call-forward noan 255 timeout 20

hold-alert 30 originator

!

7 Replies 7

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Craig,

When the DN isn't the Primary Line on the phone (have a look at this command);

mwi-line

To designate a line other than the primary line of an ephone to be associated with the ephone's message waiting indicator (MWI) lamp, use the mwi-line command in ephone configuration mode. To return to the default, use the no form of this command.

mwi-line line-number

no mwi-line

Syntax Description

line-number

Line number to be associated with the MWI lamp. Range is from 1 to 34.

Command Default

A phone's MWI lamp is lit only when there is a message waiting for the phone's primary line (line 1).

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/command/reference/cme_m1ht.html#wp1013830

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi, great info. Unfortunately lamps are still not illuminating.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Craig,

Sorry man, I didn't really see that you were using a 7911 (my bad!) I think you may be hitting the Restrictions shown below (from the same doc I sent)

Usage Guidelines

This command designates a phone line other than the primary line to activate the MWI lamp on the phone. When a message is waiting for an ephone-dn associated with the designated line, the MWI lamp is turned on. When the message is heard, the MWI lamp is turned off. For phone lines other than the line that is designated to receive MWI, an envelope icon is displayed next to them when there is a message waiting.

Note that a logical phone "line" is not the same as a phone button. A line is a button that has one or more ephone-dns assigned to it. A button that has no ephone-dns assigned to it does not count as a line.

In most cases, one ephone-dn is assigned to one button on an ephone. When you set the mwi-line command to that button, the MWI lamp is turned on when there is a message waiting for that ephone-dn. When you set the mwi-line command to a button with a more complex configuration, the following rules apply:

•When a button has a single ephone-dn with primary and secondary numbers, the MWI lamp is turned on only when there is a message waiting for the primary number.

•When a button has several ephone-dns overlaid on it, the MWI lamp is turned on only when there is a message waiting for the first number in the list of ephone-dns.

•When a button is an overflow button for an overlay button, the MWI lamp is not turned on for any extension that might overflow to this button. If you set the mwi-line command to this button, the command is ignored.

You may have to tweak the way the button config on the 7911 is setup :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob, Could I set the shared number as secondary to solve my issue?

Hi Craig,

Did you mean "Primary"? If so, yes :)

Take care,

Rob

When I set the shared extension 500 as primary this gives me a few issues. I don't think it's possible to do what I want. I have a basic setup with 2 phones (7911) with their own extension numbers 201, 202. I want them to also share ext 500 that has a voice mailbox. So far everything is working except I just need to get the MWI working for ext 500 on 201 & 202.

Rob thanks for your help. I think my issue is now resolved as in am aware of the limitations of the MWI using basic single line phones such as the 7911 and what I want cannot be done.

Is there are way I can edit setmwi.aef that is located on the CUE module?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: