I've got CME on a 2821 Integrated Services Router, and a bunch of 7921G wireless phones. They will register with the 1.2.1 firmware that was originally loaded, but I'm trying to update to 1.3.3 and also to add some custom ringtones, and they are generating some errors when I reset them:
-04:49:34p CFG File Not Found
-04:49:34p XMLDefault.cnf.xml: TFTP Error
-04:49:34p SEPMACADDRESS.cnf.xml: TFTP Error
The files for the firmware were uploaded to the router's FLASH: (along with my ringtone files).
I ran the tftp-server commands via telnet.
I ran the "load 7921 CP7921G-1.3.3" from telephony-service. I also ran the "no create cnf-files" and then ran "create cnf-files" commands based on another thread I found here.
Then I restarted a few of the phones and they all trigger the same result.
I know I'm missing something (and it's probably simple), but any ideas on how to proceed?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Have you turned on debug tftp events? This should give you a good clue of what the phones are looking for.
I just did, and when I "show log" after rebooting the phone all I see is the usual registration attempt. Is there something special I need to do in order to see the TFTP log?
I don't think so. Are your phones using the router for their tftp server?
Well I tried term mon before and after the show log, but to no difference. So let me post my config file and let you guys snoop through it for any clues.
I stripped out the lines with passwords and usernames, but it's otherwise in tact.
Forgive me guys, I'm still extremely new to this, so I know it's going to be something simple... I'm just not experienced enough yet to know what I'm missing. And thank you for the assistance!
A quick update on this... I attempted to connect to the TFTP server from my laptop, and I am getting a timeout on the connection-- Connect request failed. This leads me to believe that despite the configuration, the service isn't really running.
Based on the config I posted, any advice on how to get the TFTP server to respond properly?
OK, so it took a whole lot of searching to find the right tip, but I found the solution!
Basically, I eventually discovered that DHCP wasn't assigning the TFTP server for the phones after stumbling across a post that wanted to use their own TFTP server instead of the router.
Now, in my router config, I do have the appropriate options 150 parameter in place, but I ended up not using that pool and have been using one created on my LAN DHCP server instead. I didn't set option 150 there. As soon as I set it and rebooted the phone, the downloads began immediately.
BTW, Windows DHCP servers don't have an option 150, so you have to create it yourself. To do this, go to DHCP Manager, right click on the server, and choose "Set Predefined Options". Add 150 with an IP Address type, and then you can add that option to your scope.
Anyway, problem is solved!
We already do keep everything on a separate VLAN, but I purposely want all of my DHCP handled by my DHCP servers not by the routers and other boxes.