cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Complete Novice needing help :/

allan0008
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all and Happy New Year.I am a home user and have signed up with sipgate for a free geographical number, all works fine on X-Lite Softphone. I have since purchased a Cisco 7940G IP Phone and cannot for the life of me get it set up. I cannot ping or get into the IP address of the phone, but starting off from scratch, is there anything I need other than what I have already:-

Cisco 7940 phone connected directly into BT Home Hub 4, Home Hub has port forwarding to the Cisco 7940, can get a dial tone, but phone does not ring or make calls.

Any help would be appreciated. Is there a way to get into a 'web admin' area for the phone? Do I need a Cisco contract to use call manager? As you can see I am totally stuck with this

3 Replies 3

Hi Allan,

Where you will register your 7940 phone

If there is no cucm nor cme

Check for the sip details with your PBX

Regards

Haitham

Hi Allan.
Assuming that your phone is running a SIP Firmware, there's no web interface to configure the phone.
The key file you have to watch to is the SipDefault.cnf which is stored in Phone flash and is the file that a IP Phone with Sip image requests from tftp server.
Give a look to this post to have a basic config file than ensure to load this file via tftp.
https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2074481
Modifying that file you could be able to add Sip provider credentials, codec preference , customize ip connectivity and thus allow access to the phone via telnet protocol.

HTH

Happy new year.
Carlo

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Cisco 7940 phone connected directly into BT Home Hub 4, Home Hub has port forwarding to the Cisco 7940, can get a dial tone, but phone does not ring or make calls

Have you heard of a free product called Asterisk?  You don't need much.  Heck you can even host the Asterisk software in a Raspberry Pi or Beagle Bone.

Once you've made a decision, your first stop should be here.   I have set up my home 7940, 7960 and 7970 using Asterisk/FreePBX on a Raspberry Pi since March 2013.  No issues at all.