Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring NBAR

m1xed0s
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hey,

I am planning for a customer new site deployment. I need to recommend which switch to order and we would use NBAR for Voice QoS. So which layer3 switch from Cisco fully support NBAR?

I have 2960s with IOS 15.0(2)SE3 besides me but it only gives me arp, cdp, http, ip and ipv6 when I type question mark after match protocol...   

Thanks,

/S              

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

NBAR is a IOS feature, not IOS-SE feature. As such it will not exist in the Catalyst 2xxx or 3xxx hardware. You can confirm this using the Cisco Feature Navigator. While it does exist on the ISR platforms, be advised that all NBAR matching happens in CPU so router throughput will be impacted.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

yahsiel2004
Level 7
Level 7

Shuai,

Please read the link below, I believe it would be helpful for you.

http://blogs.manageengine.com/netflowanalyzer/2010/12/17/quick-guide-on-nbar-pdlm-and-adding-pdlm-for-cisco-nbar.html

HTH

Regards,

Yosh

HTH Regards, Yosh

Correct me if I am wrong.

From what I read from the link and cisco website, NBAR/NBAR2 only supported on the routing platform. Not even mentioning of layer 3 switch...

So what if we use a layer 3 switch as our router?

NBAR is a IOS feature, not IOS-SE feature. As such it will not exist in the Catalyst 2xxx or 3xxx hardware. You can confirm this using the Cisco Feature Navigator. While it does exist on the ISR platforms, be advised that all NBAR matching happens in CPU so router throughput will be impacted.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Frankaviglia
Level 1
Level 1

Also, you could rely on Voice VLAN Separation and Classify Traffic based on Voice Subnet which would speed things up a lot, without impacting the CPU on detecting voice traffic based on packet inspection.

In my opinion, NBAR should be used at the Network Edge, where Bandwidth involved (on the WAN side) are reduced and thus Traffic Analisys load will not impact the thorughput.

In this case the 2960 you already have wuold be enough.

Francesco

I also already planned to use classification to identify voice and mark experdite for inbound. I initially planned to use NBAR to do outbound...

The LAN is 1000/100/10 but LAN extension between offices is only 10Mbps...So I might use policying to prioritize bandwidth there...