Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring time on ccme 4.1

karljonesTZ
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

Hopefully someone out there can help ;-)

I have ccme 4.1.

The timezone should be eastern time but it is currently gmt.

I have changed it to eastern time in the telephony-service but it hasn't changed on the phone.

I raised a tac and cisco say i need to reboot the gateway.

The problem is i have extension mobility.

If i reboot, i have to ask everyone to login. I would rather not have to do that unless absolutely necessary.

Does anyone know of a way to adjust the time without rebooting the gateway?

Also - does anyone know if it is possible that when you do a reboot, that the extension mobility user stays logged in?

thanks in advance

cheers

karl

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Karl,

That is correct my friend!

Take care,

Rob

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Karl,

Sadly, one way or another the phones will all need to be rebooted but you could use this method to at least do them one at a time. After changing the time-zone setting you could follow these steps. This way not everyone would be logged out at the same time;

Usage Guidelines

This command works with the vendorConfig section of the Sep*.conf.xml configuration file, which is read by the phone firmware when the Cisco IP Phone is booted up. Certain phones, such as the Cisco Unified IP Phone 7906 , 7911, 7931, 7941, 7942, 7945, 7961, 7962, 7965, 7970 , 7971, and 7975, obtain Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) from the clock of the Cisco router. To display the correct local time, the time display on these phones must be offset by using this command.

This command is not required for Cisco Unified IP Phone 7902G, 7905G, 7912G, 7920, 7921, 7935, 7936, 7940, 7960, or 7985G.

For changes to the time-zone settings take effect, the Sep*.conf.xml file must be updated by using the create cnf-files command and the Cisco IP phones must rebooted by using the reset command.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/command/reference/cme_t1ht.html#wp1023398

under the telephony-service -

no create cnf-files

create cnf-files

Then reboot the individual phones :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob - thankyou verymuch

My phones are 7941 and 7961

I removed the cnf and recreated and by default, i now have

"create cnf-files version-stamp 7960 Feb 17 2008"

I reset my communicator and it didn't log me out of extension mobility ;-) , and the time has now been updated - great?

What are the cnf-files?

By deleting and recreating cnf-files, what am i changing?

cheers

karl

Hey Karl,

First off you are most welcome! Good work on this. Here is a good clip of what the cnf files do;

Configuration Files for Phones in Cisco Unified CME

When a phone requests service from Cisco Unified CME, the registrar confirms the username, i.e. the phone number for the phone. The phone accesses its configuration profile on the TFTP server, typically the Cisco Unified CME router, and processes the information contained in the file, registers itself, and puts the phone number on the phone console display.

Minimally, a configuration profile contains the MAC address, the type, and the number phone number that is permitted by the registrar to handle the Register message for a particular Cisco Unified IP phone.

*** Here is what you changed *** Any time you create or modify parameters for either an individual phone or a directory number, generate a new phone configuration to properly propagate the parameters.

By default, there is one shared XML configuration file located in system:/its/ for all Cisco Unified IP phones that are running SCCP. For SIP phones directly connected to Cisco Unified CME, an individual configuration profile is created for each phone and stored in system:/cme/sipphone/.

When an IP phone comes online or is rebooted, it automatically gets information about itself from the appropriate configuration file.

The Cisco universal application loader for phone firmware files allows you to add additional phone features across all protocols. To do this, a hunt algorithm searches for multiple configuration files. After a phone is reset or restarted, the phone automatically selects protocol depending on which matching configuration file is found first. To ensure that Cisco Unified IP phones download the appropriate configuration for the desired protocol, SCCP or SIP, you must properly configure the IP phones before connecting or rebooting the phones.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmefiles.html#wp1018492

Hope this helps!

Rob

So if i understand correctly - there will be one CNF file on my router if i only have sccp phones (7941/7961)

By deleting and recreating the CNF files - this updates the config file the phones download through tftp to include the timezone change?

Am i correct

cheers

Hi Karl,

That is correct my friend!

Take care,

Rob

awesome!

thankyou very much

take care

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: