cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

connecting a non-Cisco unmanaged switch to the Phone PC port

mdietrich
Level 1
Level 1

We have clients who have asked about connecting both Cisco Catalyst and/or non-cisco unmanaged switches to the Phone PC (ethernet) port, and then connecting other devices to the switches. Will this configuration work, what would be the limitations, and most important will Cisco TAC this type of topology and connection.

3 Replies 3

gogasca
Level 10
Level 10

Yes it may work but Cisco IP Phone was not designed to cascade switches.

we work with 3rd party vendors, we support it but thats real poor design, is there any reason why u want to use PC port to cascade switches?

the customer is short on ethernet drops. Our design team is trying to help them out, and insist that cisco will support it. I did no think that TAC would.

This is definitively not supported. The main limitation will be the phone's CAM table is not intended to track this many associations. I believe it has an internal limit of 32 addresses but I can't find this document at the moment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: