Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting two CME through VPN Internet Connection

alicicmirzet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am deploying two CME (Cisco 2800 series routers with image 12.4 (11XJ))locations with IP telephony. I would like to connect these two locations through VPN Internet connection without using the PIXs.

Has anyone already had this requirmet and experience?

At both sites I will be using Cisco IP Phones and also Cisco Softphone (IP Call Communicator).

The main aim is to make calls through this VPN connection in order to reduce the costs.The connection is implemented between two countries.

Please give some comments and suggestions.

Regards,

Alicic

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

This should work fine. If the routers are directly connected to the internet, you may or may not use use VPN, at your choice, as it will work either way, but uses less bandwidth without VPN.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi,

So you suggest using direct connection of CME routers to Internet and making simply NAT on CME routers and it should work.

What abput the QoS? How many calls can be palaced at the same time, any ideas.

regards,

Alicic

Hi,

If the router are connected directly to the internet, you don't need NAT. How many calls you can do, depends on speed of the circuits that you have.

As an appreciation to those providing answers, please rate useful posts using the scrollbox below!

jfenner
Level 1
Level 1

I have set up the same situation you are working on several times. You simply need a VPN tunnel to connect both ends. QoS is sort of useless if the tunnel will be traversing the internet, since you can't control QoS in the traversal. Let me know if you have more questions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: