Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Connecting Vonage service to a cisco router

All,

I have a vonage dial tone that connect to a fxo port on a cisco(2821). The cisco router connect to a remote 2621XM and a NEC PBX. Ihave programed a dial dial that allow a remote user to dial a code for Ex123 to pull a dial tone from the Vonage adapter and dial out. The problem I am facing is Capacity. Since I can only get 4 FXO per card I need a large amount of FXO ports 50 in order to provide this service to remote offices worldwide in my company. I tried to experiment with an FXS ports since I can order the 12 ports module and I found the minute I plug the Vonage Analog port to the FXS ports it goes offhook and if you issue the show voice call, it shows in park mode. Is ther a solution where I can use the FXS ports instaed the FXO ports. Any Configuration hints will be great. Any Technology Advise on this type of setup will be gratly appreciated.

Thanks

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Connecting Vonage service to a cisco router

Hi,

it is complicated and expensive to put so many FXO ports in the router. At some point you would be better using an external channel-bank (also expensive) to produce a larger density.

On the other hand, vonage offers a business plus plan that lets you connect over the net with SIP - that would require zero additional hardware on your side.

The analog vonage service is not apt to scale well and I think you may have more trouble that success doing that will all the FXO ports.

Hope this helps, if so please rate post!

Community Member

I have talked to Vonage and nobody mentioned the SIP availiablity, just the analog solution. How does this work? do you connect a callmanager on th enet back to them?. In the mean time I will have to search for a solution to my problem.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi,

this is the business plus service:

http://www.vonage-business-plus.com/

it also avaialbe from other resellers, just search. It uses SIP so you would just place one router interface on the internet, and place calls. You may need an IP-to-IP images on the 2811 to do this, on the other hand, if the 2600XM has an internet connection, it could place the calls directly as well.

However, for testing also a "vonage softphone account" should work, altough I think it wold not let you place multiple calls.

As I said, it would be very expensive to equip a cisco routers with that many FXO ports, contact your reseller and verify yourself.

Does it help? If so please take the time to rate the post using the scrollbar below!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content