cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

COS on LAN for VoIP needed??

bberry
Level 1
Level 1

I have a location where we have deployed Voip with a new phone system. We have seperate VLANs for both voice and data.

I can understand needing COS when we extend this out to interconnect facilities across our WAN but do I need to establish COS on the actual LAN? There is not a large user population at this facility and I do have gigabit for the backbone. Utilization on the LAN is hardly measurable when we look at either device or uplink statistics. Call performance seems to be fine from the user's standpoint.

Anyone have a recommended doc with guidelines or a checklist for implementation? Any other suggestions or recommendations? This is our first full scale deployment and I want to make sure we are not creating a sleeping monster somewhere.

Brent

3 Replies 3

dcrayton
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Brent,

I do understand the reluctance to configure LAN qos when there are few end users and gigabit ports.

It is a best practice to plan for the worst case scenario. Meaining, deploy LAN qos for all VoIP deployments, no matter how small.

I can post some basic configs for you.

let me know what version of CM is beibg used and what type of switch is in place.

We unfortunately/fortunately do not use CM. I have had and heard several conversations from both sides of this decision. The telecom side of the house settled on Avaya as the standard phone platform. This location has an Avaya IP Office 406 installed at this location.

In regards to the switches they have a 4506 for the core and 21 2950/2960s covering the plant floor across three buildings.

Brent