Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating a General Mailbox for a hunt group UCX

rramlal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to create a general delivery mailbox for a group of 5 extensions. These extensions are in a hunt group and we would like if a customer doesnt get through to any of the extensions they should be forwarded to a general mailbox. Any of the 5 extensions should be able to access the mailbox for their phones.

Note that these extensions all have their individual mailboxes assigned.

Can this be accomplished? How can they access another mailbox from their phones?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

Great question

This is all based on what number CUC sees coming as redirecting/forwarding

via the call flow.

For example, let's say the new DN you created is 5111 but the Hunt Pilot is 5555.

On a call that flows via the Hunt setup CUC will see 5555 but there is no mailbox

for 5555 so the call is dumped to the Opening greeting. A direct call to 5111 matches

up properly so CUC knows what to do with it and plays the appropriate greeting etc.

This is why you have to add 5555 under 5111 as an Alternate extension so that CUC

knows what to do with the call.

I would try this Tool from the excellent suite of Unity Tools to have a look

at the call flow to see what # is being passed to Unity Connection;

Port Status Remote Monitor for Connection (rPSM)

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/PortStatusMonitorCUC7x/PortStatusMonitorCUC7x.html

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ideally you would add another DN that is the group mailbox to all the phones, if you do not have any available buttons then you can assign the ACD extensions as alternate extensions to the general mailbox.

Chris

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I labbed the following scenario, it works but let me know if you see any potential issues that i missed.

CUCM 7, Unity connection 7

1. Created a DN

2. Created a mailbox and tied the DN created above to it.

3. Hunt pilot hunt forward settings to this DN when the hunt list is exhausted.

when the user needs to access the mailbox, call the Auto Attendant number and press *. Enter the DN as user id and password set and they should have access to the voicemails left.

The phones in the line group are all single line so there is no way they will know when a VM is left for that hunt group. But thats fine we can relay this to the dep to regularly check the mailbox.

Do you see any issues with this solution?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

HI there,

This looks fine to me and if it's working for you that's cool

Normally with Unity Connection and this type of scenario you would

need to add the Hunt Pilot DN as an Alternate Extension under the newly

created Group mailbox DN or just create the mailbox as the Hunt Pilot DN.

This is depending  on if you are you the Originally Dialed Number or Last Redirecting number

config in Unity Connection (Advanced).

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the response.

I finally got a chance to fully lab my proposed solution and when i dialed the hunt pilot dn after CFNA its gives the AA rather than the voicemail for the DN created. When i dial the DN directly from an extension I  get the voicemail and not the AA response.( I added the DN on the Forward settings destination for the hunt pilot.) Can you explain why?

I then followed your advice which was to add an alternate extension of the hunt pilot to the general mailbox and it worked perfectly. Can you advise why this worked? I have never used an alternate extension.

Also in my case this hunt group will be accessed from the AA rather than internally.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi there,

Great question

This is all based on what number CUC sees coming as redirecting/forwarding

via the call flow.

For example, let's say the new DN you created is 5111 but the Hunt Pilot is 5555.

On a call that flows via the Hunt setup CUC will see 5555 but there is no mailbox

for 5555 so the call is dumped to the Opening greeting. A direct call to 5111 matches

up properly so CUC knows what to do with it and plays the appropriate greeting etc.

This is why you have to add 5555 under 5111 as an Alternate extension so that CUC

knows what to do with the call.

I would try this Tool from the excellent suite of Unity Tools to have a look

at the call flow to see what # is being passed to Unity Connection;

Port Status Remote Monitor for Connection (rPSM)

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/Applications/CxN/PortStatusMonitorCUC7x/PortStatusMonitorCUC7x.html

Cheers!

Rob

Thank You so much for clarifying this for me. I will check out those tools now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: