Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating Speed dials...

CiscoRunner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks -

Normally I would create my speed dials as a translation pattern on CUCM (v8.0). However, I cannot use this method on one of my sites, because incoming calls use also a translation pattern on the CUCM to reach phones - that means that the significant digits on the gateway PRI are 0 and the CUCM tp takes care of prepending digits so that it can reach the phone. This is fine.

For a speed dial, it needs to be accessible from both internal callers and external. So, if I create a trans pattern, then when the call comes in, it hits the first tp to route to a phone but wont hit the second tp which is the speed dial ( i think you cannot translate a number twice??). So for this, I have had to create a directory number with the call forward. Now, I get another problem...the directory number must exist on a physical phone before it will work...Why?

Creating a device profile also works and doesnt need to exist on a physical phone...

Any ideas on the most efficient way to create the speed dials?

2 Replies 2

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Firstly, DNs don't need to exist on a device to work. They need to have the  'active' check box ticked if they are not; if they are on a device then they are active automatically.

Typically you would add numbers to a UDP or a CTI RP (which is my preference if it's important, as it's out of they way of day-to-day admin so less likely for someone to delete it or modify it) as this means they won't get accidentally deleted from an 'unallocated number' route plan report.

Now - re: translation patterns. If you have sig digits of 0, then you are prefixing numbers - all your calls on that circuit will go the number you put in the prefix digits box. In that scenario, you don't need a translation surely as you can just put the correct number in the prefix digits box?

Number can be translated multiple times, you just need to ensure that you set up your CSSs/partitions to allow it. For example:

If you want a call to go through translation A, then translation B, you must:

- Make sure that translation A's CSS includes the partition containing translation B

- Ensure that the result of translation A (i.e. the translated number) matches the pattern of translation B

For example:

- you have a gateway with CSS-A (which contains Partition-A)

- you might set Translation A in Partition A, with CSS-A (same as the gateway)

- translation B would be in Partition A, and have a CSS of CSS-B (which contains partition-B, where your phones and other DNs are)

So you basically loop the translation back to the same CSS.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Aaron, as always thanks for the helpful answer...You have cleared somethings up for me.