Views
Helpful
Replies

Critical Error : CUCM 9.1.2 Installation failed with return-code 256

Fikri FIRAT
Level 5
Level 5

Hi all,

The installation aborted with the following error message, any ideas on why this could happen? How can I access the mentioned path? How can I get the dump logs?

criticalerror.PNG

14 Replies 14

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What HW are you using?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,

I'm using Vmware v8, but didn't deploy with .ova from cisco.

Regards,

Fikri

Then, you should be using the OVA from Cisco, and that's not HW what you just replied.

I'll take it you're running ESXi 5 from the V8, but again, that does not answer the question, that's not HW.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,

Sorry for my answer, I find it hard to focus at these hours sometimes :(. I believe what you are asking is the general specs of the VM :

what server are you using? Is it ucs c220 or some third party server?

Hi I have also same issue.

i am runing ucs c200 M2 server .

Esxi 5.0

After taking a  two-three hours not able to install getting same issue.

d

try using a 8.6 OVA, this error usually is due to the virtual Network interface that was added to the VM.

new ova comes with VMXNET3 where older OVAs (like for 8.6) used flexible type.

No, still not the answer.

And those specs are way off of what you need, no surprise the install fails.

Did you at least reviewed the specs required in the virtualization wiki??????

HTH

java

HTH

java

Hi, I have a similar problem with the installation of CUCM 6.1.2 on UCS C240M3 I got the same error, I want to migrate the DB of this version to 10.5 so I need to install this on the UCS server, well the way how I solved is creating the VM manually and choosing the version of Linux to Red Hat Enterprise 3 at 32 bits, also changed the Adapter of the NIC from Flexible to E1000, so when I tried again to install the installation worked fine. I hope this help somebody with the same problem.

This worked for me, Thanks Manuel.

I too hit this error.  I have  a customer that has a current 8.6(2) install, and wants to upgrade to 10.5.  We are doing this on a UCS C260 server.

We were attempting to load this on the 10.5 OVA.  After looking over the thread above, I noted the adapter type change made by manuelmtzdominguez.  I started looking at this, and sure enough, the adapter type is seems to be the root cause. 

The OVA for an 8.6 machine uses an adapter type "flexible", but the adapter type on the 10.5 OVA is using VMXNET3.  On the 10.5 OVA, the only available options are VMXNET3 and E1000.  Flexible isn't an option.

In my case, I'm simply going to install it on the 8.6 OVA, and then use Prime Deployment to run the upgrade to 10.5 (to get everything just right). 

Moral of the story is, I guess, check the adapter types since apparently some options are not supported on older versions. 

Engineer Clifford, cant you please confirm if the version of OVA 8.6 can work me to install version of CUCM 9.1 and later.

Thank you

Regards!!

It is strictly not allowed to use one version of OVA to deploy another version since the hardware specifications for different versions vary.If you want to install CUCM 9.1, download the required OVA from below link and deploy the VM using that only:

https://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284510097&flowid=45900&softwareid=283088407&release=9.1%281%29&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

Also find the virtualization link below for CUCM that will give you all the insights on the type of OVA and supported Hardware

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Virtualization_for_Cisco_Unified_Communications_Manager_%28CUCM%29

Regards

Deepak

- Rate Helpful Posts -

Hey hi folks,

Thanks for your guides. Changing the VM Network worked fine for me.

regards,

Ritesh Desai.

*** Please rate helpful post. Please mark as answer if it solves your problem/query.
regards, Ritesh Desai
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: