Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cube CME 8.6 And VG 204 with SIP ITSP & Fax/modem Config

Hello All

I am trying to configure cucme 8.6 and a  2 x vg 204.

One vg 204 will be connected to a fax machine and the other vg204 will be connecting to a tannoy.

Customer is considering connecting to a KPN Sip provider for PSTN.

Can someone provide configuration for the CME with VG 204 as MGCP and SCCP.  I am thinking of configuring one vg 204 as MGCP and the other as SCCP. Also CUBE config to ITSP would be appreciated.

I am configuring one vg204 (fax's) as MGCP as I understand from this document that fax on the vg204 will only work with an ITSP (sip provider) if it is MGCP.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25210

G. ITSP – SIP – CUBE – SIP/H323 – CUCM – SCCP – VG224

[VG224 needs to be an MGCP GW for this setup to work. NSE  switchover is only specific to Cisco devices and providers do not  support NSE based switchovers]

Config for CUBE doi

ng T38:
dial-peer voice <tag> voip
  fax protocol t38 nse ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback pass-through <g711ulaw or g711alaw>
  fax-relay ecm disable
                                          OR
If there is no specific configuration on the dial-peer, then the following should be present under "voice service voip"

voice service voip
  fax protocol t38 nse ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback pass-through <g711ulaw or g711alaw>
  fax-relay ecm disable
  fax-relay sg3-to-g3

Config for VG224 doing T38:
no ccm-manager fax protocol cisco              
no mgcp fax t38 inhibit 
mgcp package-capability fxr-package
mgcp default-package fxr-package
no mgcp fax t38 ecm

Thanks

Feisal

6 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

We need to know whether the carrier supports T.38 fax relay or not. If they don't than all we can do is pass-through. Since Cisco only provides a proprietary method of modem relay you'll only be able to do passthrough there as well. To be frank, you're unlikely to find much success with modem over an ITSP. Most carriers here in the US flat-out say it isn't supported. A tiny amount of loss or jitter will kill the entire modem call.

The scneario you mention above requires MGCP for T.38 only because SIP providers don't support the Cisco-proprietary NSE-based switchover. They all want a re-INVITE which is a different command (shown below). If you're doing pass-through it won't matter MGCP vs. SCCP.

voice service voip

! Note the absense of 'nse' in this command. The CUBE will process the switchover within the SIP dialog with the carrier.

fax protocol t38 version 3 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback pass-through g711ulaw

! This will only work for inbound calls as the terminating gateway initiates the switchover.

modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Hello Jonathan

Sip provide confirms

a list of Supported Codecs and protocols

Signaling:  SIP (RFC 3261)

Codecs (both on-net and off-net)

• G.711a 20 msec
  • G.711μ 20 msec
  • G.729a

Media Protocols: RTP Media Transport

Fax:

• T.38
  • G.711

DTMF

• DTMF transmission in band G.711
  • DTMF transmission according to RFC2833

I don't understand this bit from your reply:

voice service voip

! Note the absense of 'nse' in this command. The CUBE will process the switchover within the SIP dialog with the carrier.

fax protocol t38 version 3 ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback pass-through g711ulaw

! This will only work for inbound calls as the terminating gateway initiates the switchover.

modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw

Are you saying that I don't need:

voice service voip
fax protocol  t38 nse   ls-redundancy 0 hs-redundancy 0 fallback pass-through 
  fax-relay ecm disable

and will need

"modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw"

in absence of T.38 support on the SIP carrier?

Thanks

VIP Super Bronze

You don't want the 'nse' keyword. The carrier wants to see the T.38 switchover in the SIP signaling, not the RTP stream. Since they do support T.38, you'll need to use MGCP to get a protocol-based switchover (i.e. SIP instead of RTP).

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Can you send me a config for the CME as MGCP server  and for the VG2XX as mgcp client?

I can't find cme as mgcp server config anywhere. I can find a router connected to Comms Manager as mgcp client which

I think is what I need to do on the vg204 in my scenario.

On the cme do I use

voice-gateway   system  1
type VG204
mac-address 001D.A2EB.EBC3
voice-port 0-3

create cnf-files

Under ephone what "type" do I specify for both sccp and mgcp?

Is it type "anl"

On the VG204 do I add the

application MGCPAPP command?

dial-peer voice 4 pots
VG200A(config)#application MGCPAPP
VG200A(config)#port 1/1/1

Help is appreciated.

Feisal

So the document on cco is wrong?

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25210

Scenario G

Thanks

Re: Cube CME 8.6 And VG 204 with SIP ITSP & Fax/modem Config

Hello Jonathan

I think the penny is dropping.
I don't think I can use mgcp on the vg204 as the cme needs to control it so I am opting for sccp. Using sccp I won't be able to use t.38 and will have to use fax pass through on both the vg204 and cme to the sip provider.
For modems I can't use modem pass through as it uses cisco's propriety nse.
Is that correct so far?
What commands can I use for modems in this scenario or is a case of using dedicated lines for modems.

Much appreciated

Feisal

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content