Cisco Support Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

CUBE license for 3845 router

We have an existing 3845 router that we were planning on using for a voice gateway with traditional T1s. It has the voice IOS feature set and enough DSPs.

Our provider (AT&T) is proposing a 10MB SIP connection instead of traditional T1s. But they've also indicated I'll need a CUBE license.

I read about CUBE at but I wasn't sure if it's required or just recommended -- and what features it gives me. It seems like it's an added hidden expense of SIP vs traditional T1s.

Also are the DSPs still needed if my incoming connection is SIP? I imagine it is to translate between codecs?


Community Member

Re: CUBE license for 3845 router

The Cisco Unified Border Element provides a network-to-network interface point for:

Signaling interworking-H.323, SIP

Media interworking-dual-tone multifrequency [DTMF], fax, modem, and codec transcoding

A Cisco Unified Border Element interoperates with many different network elements including voice gateways, IP phones, and call-control servers in many different application environments, from advanced enterprise voice and/or video services with Cisco Unified Communications Manager or Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express, as well as simpler toll bypass and voice over IP (VoIP) transport applications.

DSP's will be need. Answer is YES

Good thing is you can use the SIP circuit for voice as well as data...

CUBE license is a trust based license and you need to purchase that from cisco..

CreatePlease to create content