Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CUCM 10 and Fixed MOH Sources

I have a customer ready to make the jump to UC 10, but there are two issues that could pose a problem:

1. Cisco Unified CM no longer supports a USB sound card for fixed live audio source connection to an MoH server due to lack of USB port support for MoH when Unified CM nodes are virtualized.
  2. CTI devices do not support the multicast Music On Hold feature. If a CTI device is configured with a multicast MOH device in the media resource group list of the CTI device, call control issues may result. CTI devices do not support multicast media streaming.

They are currently running CUCM 9 and have an old MCS server with the USB MOH adapter plugged into it, connected to an XM radio device.

I have attempted adding a USB device to CUCM  through VMware to use with the MOH adapter but the sound quality is horrible.

There are devices that create a multicast stream from any audio source, but they want to use it as an MOH source for UCCX applications and multicast is not supported for this purpose.  I heard a rumor that there may be IOS support for unicast MOH streaming which would solve this issue but I have not seen any indication that it's true.

Is there a way to use fixed MOH sources for UCCX applications in UC 10?

EDIT: After talking to my local Cisco account team, it appears that there is no official solution for providing live stream unicast MOH to UCCX in UC10.  The official solution for live stream multicast MOH is an ISR router with an E&M or FXO port.  Any unofficial solutions? :)

Everyone's tags (1)
5 REPLIES

Hi,The old MCS can be use it

Hi,

The old MCS can be used for dedicated MOH streaming. 

However in the VM, I am afraid, there are no solutions. Since sound quality issues on VM can be fixed in windows based VMs only, by the help of installing VMware tools. However, since CUCM is a linux based appliance, also there's no root access to make any changes.

HTH

Varun

Just thinking out loud, have

Just thinking out loud, have you tried making a separate lan segment for the UC10 VM ? That would priortize its traffic out through the UCS server and that should make some difference in the sound quality.

Try that, keep me posted :)

As I guess you are aware

As I guess you are aware CUCM10 will only run on VMware so retaining an MCS server is not possible.

William Bell did a couple of interesting blogs on MoH with UCS at the link below but they focus on using multicast.

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/blogs/entry/live-stream-music-on-hold-and-cisco-uc-on-ucs.html

In your position I would probably not use the hold step in my UCCX scripts and just use WAV files stored on the UCCX server instead.

Did you ever find a solution

Did you ever find a solution for this ?

Not yet.  There is no

Not yet.  There is no official word on unicast fixed-source MOH.  I have heard some rumors and rumbling that there may be an IOS feature around UC 11 that might support this, but nothing concrete.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content