cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 5.x to 6.x Upgrade and Host Name Change?

jrossouw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm in the process of upgrading from 5.1(3) to 6.1(2) AND moving to new hardware.

Can someone please comment on the following:

1) I can't find any documentation about renaming a 5.x and later server to a new host name. I'd like to know if this is supported and if anyone can point me in the direction of a CCO document about this please.

2) In order to move my DLUs from 5.1(3) to 6.1(2), do I simply "view" the current license files and then copy/paste them in a text editor before adding them again to 6.1(2)??

3) I found a few docs on upgrading from 4.x to 5.x and 4.x to 6.x but none that fitted my scenario. My plan is the following, so if someone thinks this will fail at any point then please say so:

- Use the upgrade discs in the supplied software pack to go from 5.x to 6.1(2)

- Use the GUI to point the OS to the DVD drive and then start the install

- I take it the install will then upgrade my 5.1(3) server and place the new 6.1(2) version on the standby partition?

- Reboot the server if/when prompted

- Switch partitions from live (5.1(3)) to standby (6.1(2))

- Backup CUCM 6.1(2) via SFTP

- Shut down old hardware

- Boot new hardware and install 6.1(2) base system

- Restore backed up DB to new 6.1(2) system

4) Apart from the Node license which I've requested from Cisco and the DLU licenses I need to move from 5.1(3), are there any other license files to be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.

Johan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1) This is supported (dont have documentation in front of me), however I found that it will always corrupt your host files and you will need TAC assistance to edit the files with root access

2) No, when upgrading to CM 6 you need CM 6 feature software license, you need to go through PUT and request it, otherwaise your services will not start

3) Here is the upgrade doc from CM 5/6 to 6.x

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/6_1_1/cucos/iptpch7.html

4) the software feature license as described above

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1) This is supported (dont have documentation in front of me), however I found that it will always corrupt your host files and you will need TAC assistance to edit the files with root access

2) No, when upgrading to CM 6 you need CM 6 feature software license, you need to go through PUT and request it, otherwaise your services will not start

3) Here is the upgrade doc from CM 5/6 to 6.x

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/6_1_1/cucos/iptpch7.html

4) the software feature license as described above

HTH,

Chris

as far as i can remember the hostname change was not implemented until 6.1(2)

upgrades from windows to linux DO accept the hostname change during the process of restore with DMA

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Many thanks. I found the document in the end for renaming the server:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/6_1_2/ipchange/ipchg612.html#wp185050

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: