I've got 2 users in a Windows AD domain that I assigned permissions for making simple phone modifications in CUCM. These user accounts worked as expected in 5.x. After the recent upgrade to 126.96.36.1990-3, when an attempt to login to ccmadmin with these accounts, the accounts cannot access the pages. The only indication of an error is 'Non Defined IMS Exception' is displayed in plain black text about the same location that the pull down menus should be. These accounts are not given access to ccmadmin. Are there additional permissions/roles/usergroups that are that much different in CUCM 6 that need changing?
2.- When you are in the CLI run "utils reset_ui_administrator_password"
3.- And please type the new password
I did not have to try the above procedure. After speaking with TAC, I remember making a change to the LDAP account used to authenticate to AD. There are 2 locations in the GUI (System - LDAP Directory and System - LDAP Authentication)where this information is inputted. After revisiting both of these and verifying everything, including retyping the passwords, all worked as expected.
I'm not able to access my old voice mail messages all of a sudden. The recording says something like 'the message is currently not available'. This has never happened before in all the years I have been using this system. I have t...