cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 6.1(5) to 8.6(2a) with Hardware Migration Advice???

ciscology
Level 1
Level 1

I have a simple environment but a fairly complex requirement, and am seeking some advice from the assembled body of experts 

Currently the environment consists of:

• In service Publisher & Subscriber on HP DL380 G5’s
  • Running CUCM V6.1(5)

The intention is to upgrade the platform to V8.6(2a), however the following caveats apply:

• The upgrades must be done offline
  • Have a TEST hardware platform at a HQ site, built at 6.1(5) DRS’d Publisher from site applied
  • We do not have a subscriber at the HQ site
  • We have two new MCS-7825-I5 platforms with CUCM 8.5, 3 yr ESW for the final environment

The existing plan was to:

• Upgrade the cluster using the single TEST Publisher from UCM 6.1(5) to 8.5 which is supported in the matrix
  • Create a new UPGRADE DRS 8.5 copy for one of the new MCS-7825-I5 platforms which will be the new Publisher
  • Build the first MCS-7825-I5 platforms as Publisher at UCM V8.5 and apply the UPGRADE DRS
  • Upgrade new Publisher to UCM 8.6(2a) on the new platform
  • As abobve for a build of 2nd MCS-7825-I5 platform as Subscriber to new Publisher
  • Attach  2nd MCS-7825-I5 platform to CUCM Cluster as Subscriber

Having come into the environment to assist as an external resource, the questions I have are:

• Can we upgrade the TEST 6.1(5) installation using the Publisher only, in other words is there a mechanism by which I upgrade the Publisher and Subscriber using the above single TEST platform without having a live Subscriber?

• Could I delete the subscriber, upgrade the publisher and re-add a subscriber and have the same result as the upgrade would have provisioned i.e a Subscriber at 8.6(2a) using same IP address etc?

Many thanks for any input proffered!

S

11 Replies 11

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Steve,

Sorry to veer away from your questions here, but I have a few of my own

before we come up with a plan of attack here. As the "old" production servers are

not going to come into play here, the only real goal is to migrate the existing database

from 6.1(5) to 8.6(2) to prepare for the "cutover"

1. what hardware is running the "test" 6.1(5) Publisher?

2. what version of Cisco "build" DVD's/media do you have available?

3. there is a direct path from 6.1(5) to 8.6(2a)su1 that would be possible and would

alleviate the need of the "Refresh" upgrade from 8.5 to 8.6 as the last step. Is that

something you've considered?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr1.pdf

4. what is the time frame you're working with here?

Cheers!

Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

Rob,

Many thanks for answering - and questions are welcome as they will probably clarify the picture!

As the "old" production servers are not going to come into play here, the only real goal is to migrate the existing database

from 6.1(5) to 8.6(2) to prepare for the "cutover"       BANG ON!!!

1. what hardware is running the "test" 6.1(5) Publisher? 

ANSWER:   Same as in-service a HP DL380 G5

2. what version of Cisco "build" DVD's/media do you have available?   

ANSWER:   8.5 - chasing for contract number to get 8.6(2a)

3. there is a direct path from 6.1(5) to 8.6(2a)su1 that would be possible and wouldalleviate the need of the "Refresh" upgrade from 8.5 to 8.6 as the last step. Is that something you've considered?

ANSWER:   Yup but until see 2. above - if I can get details and download the necessary CUCM 8.6(2a) great!!!

for now I assumed it might be two step but I had looked at the 8.6(2a) which I think is a bridged upgrade!

In terms of timeframe - within the next week or two at the outside.

Thanks again

Steve

Hi Steve,

No worries my friend

You've certainly done your homework here, so I will try to stay on topic. If you are

working in a tight timeframe then I would just move forward with the 8.5 DVD's to expedite

things. Here's my thoughts (weak as they are and in no pertinent order ).

***as a first step we always look at what phone firmware will be applied on the final

build version of CUCM and upgrade the phones on the current version to match ahead

of time*** - this takes one big variable out of the equation on "cut' night

*** also, contact licensing@cisco.com at this early phase to secure the 8.x Software

feature license, node, and phone licensing (tied to new Publisher MAC)

LAB work**

- It looks like your "test" Publisher DL380G5 will move to 8.5/8.6 without requiring the

Bridge Upgrade process which is good.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Bridge Upgrade - just in case

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/8_6_1/cucos/iptpch7.html#wp1119088

- But I would load the 8.5 DVD ASAP on your "test" box to make sure that it passes the Hardware checks

in the initial process.

- Disregard the Sub for this migration of the DB, I might even delete it from the Test config

as you nicely noted.

- Do a final DRS backup and restore onto the Test Pub on your chosen start date, after that

call an embargo where minimal changes are done and any that are "must haves" are duly noted

to be added back in at the end of the Migration to 8.x.

- do the upgrade of the test box to 8.x to secure a good DRS

- Build the new pub (same IP/Hostname as previous) and do your DRS restore that

was secured in the previous step.

- add/build the new Subscriber even if you have to re-IP later.

Changing the IP Address and Host Name for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 8.5(1)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_5_1/ipchange/ipchg851.html#wp42666

- Test, Test,Test

I know this list does not address all the requirements here, but sometimes just thinking out loud helps a bit And hopefully

some of our fellow NetPros who are far smarter than I will weigh in on this as well.

Best of luck.

Cheers!

Rob

"Show a little faith, there's magic in the night" - Springsteen

Hi Rob.

Sorry been away for a few but many thanks for your very detailed response, I am further forward than I was but still have a question or maybe two :-)

Sorry if I misunderstand your inference, but when you say "Disregard the Sub for this migration of the DB, I might even delete it from the Test config as you nicely noted", does that mean that I can do the migration of Publisher to 8.5 (media I currently have) and then upgrade the sub later when you say "add/build the new Subscriber even if you have to re-IP later"?

I would consider deleting the Subscriber but on reflection if I do I may lose some cluster ordered groupings for resources (like phone registration) etc so I want to do some more analysis of what exists now to be 100%!

I think it would be good if Cisco could have an 'upgrade all' option from the Publisher node so that a complete upgrade is undertaken across the DB, but hey - when was this world perfect?

Thanks again!

Steve

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Steve,

No worries

We are really looking at the Lab work as two distinct tasks;

LAB

1. Migrate your existing cluster data to the lab HP DL380 G5 - this we'll call Phase 1

and this is where the need for an actual Sub would be unnecessary. In hindsight

you shouldn't need to delete the Sub (sorry my BAD!) This Phase is only used

to secure a good DRS backup to be used in Phase 2.

2. Phase 2 is the move of the DRS backup from the Lab HP DL380 G5 to your new

7825's. This is where you will want to re-build the Pub and Sub on your lab network.

The reference to re-IP the Sub is only if will need to move to a different network for production.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers!

Rob

"Always movin' ahead and never lookin' back" - Springsteen

Thanks again Rob...

Phase 1 starting today in Lab. Re-reading the above and just FYI I have the new hardware here in LAB and a change freeze in place on actual site, so I can complete all the actual work in the LAB thens hip the new kit to site when proven and tested, in a working state with a swapout of the hardware!

We have less than 100 phones (and many of those are not IP phones, just connected to VG224's) so there isn't a big worry on firmware updates.

When I get a known good DRS and start the build on the 7825's I'll set them up with same IP as the LIVE units, therefore there should have no work to do on site.

Last (I hope) question, the following is my process:

- Upgrade TEST PUB in LAB to CUCM 8.5

- Take DRS copy from TEST PUB in LAB now at CUCM 8.5

- Build 7825 PUB in LAB to CUCM 8.5

- Restore DRS CUCM 8.5 copy to 7825 PUB

- Build 7825 SUB in LAB to CUCM 8.5

- Restore DRS CUCM 8.5 copy to 7825 SUB

- TEST everything and then TEST it all again :-)

All being weel and when I have the media...

- Upgrade 7825 PUB in LAB to CUCM 8.6

- Upgrade  7825 SUB in LAB to CUCM 8.5

- Take DRS copy from 7825 PUB in LAB now at CUCM 8.6

- TEST everything and then TEST it all again :-)

- Ship to site....

Have I missed anything or does that look OK to you?

Cheers - your input much appreciated...

Steve

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Steve,

You are most welcome my friend

The plan looks solid to me....just a couple of further notes;

the steps below will not require DRS, just build the new Sub and let dbreplication

take care of replicating the data over from the Pub

- Build 7825 SUB in LAB to CUCM 8.5

- Restore DRS CUCM 8.5 copy to 7825 SUB (just use the inherent dbreplication)

The move to 8.6 does incorporate a new "Refresh" upgrade portion (see below)

Have a read of these awesome attachments from Ryan

Cheers!

Rob

Attachments:

Attachments look the business - will have a read...

Cheers

Steve

Hi,

Started yesterday...

- Upgrade TEST PUB in LAB to CUCM 8.5                                              

- Take DRS copy from TEST PUB in LAB now at CUCM 8.5                

- Build 7825 PUB in LAB to CUCM 8.5                                                     

All went OK

- Restore DRS CUCM 8.5 copy to 7825 PUB                                         

"Security password is different from the one used for backup or the encrypted password has been tampered with. Restore will Halt"

The complaint is obviously around the old security password being different to that expected - but the customer is adamant that the two usernames and passwords I have are all he was given when the 3rd party installed the system.

So...I looked at the possibilities and I have noted a couple of mentions for recovery:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-16780#_Reset_Administrator_and_Security_passwords_on_CUCM_6

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/voip/145117

My question is as to whether at this somewhat precarious stage I will be OK to try and reset the CUCM Security password on my TEST PUB in LAB now at CUCM 8.5 (given that I have no access to the SUB) and then take a new DRS Copy and try to import that?

OR

Should i switch back to V6.1(5) and change the Security password (again and just to reiterate, given that I have no access to the SUB here either)

It sounds feasible - any thoughts. Thanks for any input proffered!

UPDATE

***Interestingly I have been given the Platform XML script that was generated prior to the install - but since the passwords are encrypted by the Standalone Configuration Wizard application I cannot see what they were originally - is there a reverse engineering version of this, or can anyone tell me what this is hashed to so that I could try and recover it from this information ***

Cheers

Steve

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Steve,

If it were me I wouldn't go down the password reset road quite yet. I would

go ahead and open a TAC case and see if they can access root and decrypt

the original Security password from the production build The Security password

needs to be reset on all nodes, so if worse comes to worse I would go back to the

production build and do the password resets, re-DRS and move forward with the new DRS.

Just my 2 cent$ here.

Cheers!

Rob

Rob,

Thanks...sometimes 2cent$ can seem like a million dollars depending on your situation

I'll see what TAC have to say!

Cheers

Steve