Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 6.1x - DDI number translation pattern to alternate number

andy_vvc2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Im trying to setup a translation pattern so that external callers to one of our DDI numbers get diverted elsewhere (a manager at work wants external callers to her number to be diverted to her PA, but internal callers to be able to call her)

In the past i have set up translation patterns for internal numbers, ie XXXX to translate to a Called Party Transform Mask of 90800123456 etc. These work flawlessly and divert ALL callers to the XXXX number to the alternate 0800 number, either internal or external callers.

What i cant seem to do is get CallManager to divert ONLY calls to the full DDI number, rather than the 4-digit internal one.

We have a split-campus with DDI numbers provided by BT in Notingham and London (thus two separate DDI ranges: 0115 843 XXXX and 0207 756 XXXX). I can easily divert ALL callers to the managers extension to her PA.  But i was hoping i could enter a trans pattern of "0207756XXXX" (managers number) and hve that divert to the PA thus leaving internal callers to XXXX unaffected.

I have been able to get this working internally, such that a trans pattern of 90207756XXXX WILL divert me to her PA, but when i call XXXX i get thru to the manager.  However, i cant seem to divert EXTERNAL callers away from her main London number. No matter what setup on the Trans pattern i have tried, it just dials her phone and ignores the trans pattern.

Have i missed something, or am i at the mercy of BT who will (from a mobile for example) route calls to 0207756XXXX to the gateway at our London Office and then to the relevant IP phone.... seems to me that a trans pattern of 0207756XXXX should be possible, but something somewhere is preventing it from having any effect when i use my mobile to make the call...

Any thoughts? Perhaps a CSS or Partition is limited to just 4 digits - because if i try a trans pattern JUST to XXXX it DOES divert my mobile call  !  lol

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

One of the problems I see customers and other integrators run into is that they assign CSS's to gateways which allow them to route to internal extensions using the same routing controls as assigned to internal origination points like phones.  For example:

Phone_CSS:   A CSS assigned to the device level of all phones

GW_CSS:  A CSS assigned to all PSTN voice gateways

Phone_PT:  Partition for all phones

Phone_CSS contains partition Phone_PT

GW_CSS contains partition Phone_PT

This is fine and dandy until you need to differentiate call routing behavior as you need to and as most of us will at some point in time.  The same is true if you have a translation partition in the middle of this which BOTH the Phone_CSS and the GW_CSS can "see".

What you need to do is take a look at your dial plan design and change the CSS solution for your voice gateways.  You need to stick a call routing control layer between the gateway and the phones that will allow you to modify routing behavior for ingress calls from the pstn without affecting your phones.

A simple scenario:

PSTN-In_PT is created

GW_CSS is modified to remove Phone_PT and add PSTN-In_PT

Let's assume you are getting 4-digits from the gateway (after it applies the Significant digit rule) then you can have two translations added to PSTN-In_PT like so:

XXXX  : Translation pattern that passes through with no digit manipultion. Used by everyone

3456:  A more specific translation that translates called party info to 0800.  Used by manager

The above is just a simplified example.  Personally, I always recommend that you allow gateways to accept all digits (i.e. don't chop the ingress digits) and then you can have a cluster wide "PSTN-In_PT" that is usable by all gateways.  This may not matter to you if you have one or two connections but you want to keep this in mind.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

andy_vvc2
Level 1
Level 1

Hmm..."Call Routing Information - Inbound Calls" on our E1 gateway is set to 'Significant Digits 4' . . .  

The Glo_Translations partition that i use is part of the CSS that the Gateway(s) use (thus the trans patterns can dial external numbers).  Is this having an effect?  I really dont like the idea of altering GLOBAL significant digit settings on the Gateway just to get one translation patern working  doh!

One of the problems I see customers and other integrators run into is that they assign CSS's to gateways which allow them to route to internal extensions using the same routing controls as assigned to internal origination points like phones.  For example:

Phone_CSS:   A CSS assigned to the device level of all phones

GW_CSS:  A CSS assigned to all PSTN voice gateways

Phone_PT:  Partition for all phones

Phone_CSS contains partition Phone_PT

GW_CSS contains partition Phone_PT

This is fine and dandy until you need to differentiate call routing behavior as you need to and as most of us will at some point in time.  The same is true if you have a translation partition in the middle of this which BOTH the Phone_CSS and the GW_CSS can "see".

What you need to do is take a look at your dial plan design and change the CSS solution for your voice gateways.  You need to stick a call routing control layer between the gateway and the phones that will allow you to modify routing behavior for ingress calls from the pstn without affecting your phones.

A simple scenario:

PSTN-In_PT is created

GW_CSS is modified to remove Phone_PT and add PSTN-In_PT

Let's assume you are getting 4-digits from the gateway (after it applies the Significant digit rule) then you can have two translations added to PSTN-In_PT like so:

XXXX  : Translation pattern that passes through with no digit manipultion. Used by everyone

3456:  A more specific translation that translates called party info to 0800.  Used by manager

The above is just a simplified example.  Personally, I always recommend that you allow gateways to accept all digits (i.e. don't chop the ingress digits) and then you can have a cluster wide "PSTN-In_PT" that is usable by all gateways.  This may not matter to you if you have one or two connections but you want to keep this in mind.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify