Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7.0 to 8.6 MCS to UCS

mflavio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We've planned to upgrade our CUCM 7.0 2 node cluster to 8.6 and bought a couple UCS for it. Since we don't wanna impact our production system, I'd like to know if I can follow this procedure:

1.       Backup current CUCM 7.0

2.       Install CUCM 7.0 in a VM *

3.       Restore on virtualized CUCM 7.0

4.       Upgrade virtualized CUCM to 7.1(5) and afterwards to 8.6

* I know it's not officially supported, but can I at least install 7.0 in a VM and perform DRS?

Thanks in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

This will need to be a multi-hop migration path. The first pahse will be to move

your 7.0 build to a build supported on a virtual deployment. So, for example,

you would probably need to go from 7.0 to 7.1(5) then to 8.0 or 8.5 (using the bridge path)

and at this point you would move to the virtual build.

The high level steps are shown below; Step 9 discusses the need to re-host

your licenses after the migration;

Migrating To Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount Servers

#

Migrating from a Media Convergence Server (MCS server) to a Cisco UCS  C210 Rack-Mount Servers server follows a procedure that is very similar  to replacing server hardware, which is described in the document Replacing a Single Server or Cluster for Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

#

Table 5 provides an overview of the migration process and references to other pertinent documentation.

#

##

Table 5     Migrating to Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount Servers Process Overview 

#

Configuration Steps

#

Related Procedures and Topics

#

Step 1 

#

Review the document Replacing a Single Server or Cluster for Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

#

This document describes how to replace server hardware, which is very  similar to migrating from an MCS server to a Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount  Servers server. You should perform the document's pre-replacement and  post-replacement tasks, and review the procedures for installing Cisco  Unified Communications Manager and migrating data.

#

Replacing a Single Server or Cluster for Cisco Unified Communications Manager

#

Step 2 

#

Upgrade the MCS server to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 8.0(2) or later.

#

Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration Guide

#

Step 3 

#

If  the UCS VM will use a different IP address or hostname than the MCS  server, change the IP address and hostname of the MCS server to the  values that the UCS VM will use.

#

This is required for DRS backup and restore to work.

#

Refer to the topic "Changing the Cluster IP Addresses for Publisher Servers That Are Defined by Host Name" in the Changing the IP Address and Host Name for Cisco Unified Communications Manager guide.

#

Step 4 

#

Perform a DRS backup on the MCS server.

#

Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide

#

Step 5 

#

Use  the Answer File Generator to generate a license MAC for the Cisco UCS  C210 Rack-Mount Servers server. The license MAC is required to obtain  licenses for the server.

#

After you obtain the license MAC, you can rehost the licenses for your new server.

#

Customer Impact from New Licensing Procedures.

#

Installing Cisco Unified Communications Manager

#

Step 6 

#

Create  the virtual machine (VM) on the Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount Servers  server that will be used as the replacement for the MCS node.

#

Installing Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount Servers

#

Step 7 

#

Install  the same release of Cisco Unified Communications Manager on the Cisco  UCS C210 Rack-Mount Servers server that you installed on the MCS server.

#

#

#

Step 8 

#

Perform a DRS restore to restore the data backed up from the MCS server to the Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount Servers server.

#

#

Step 9 

#

Upload the new licenses to the Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount Servers server.

#

If you did not obtain licenses for the new server already, you must request the licenses first.

#

Note The  previous license will no longer be valid. However, you have 30  additional days in which to use your previous license. Refer to "Obtaining Rehosted Licenses When You Change License MAC Parameters" section.

#

Cisco Unified Communications Manager on Virtualized Servers Licensing

#

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/virtual/servers.html#wp42496

The OVA details are here;

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/OVA_Template_Details_for_Unifed_CM_Release_8.0

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Best Regards

View solution in original post

We don't support anything below 8.0(2a) on ESXi, and we only support 7.1(4)-7.1(5) on ESXi for the jump upgrade procedure.

As you said, this won't be supported at all by Cisco if you choose to follow that path.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

This will need to be a multi-hop migration path. The first pahse will be to move

your 7.0 build to a build supported on a virtual deployment. So, for example,

you would probably need to go from 7.0 to 7.1(5) then to 8.0 or 8.5 (using the bridge path)

and at this point you would move to the virtual build.

The high level steps are shown below; Step 9 discusses the need to re-host

your licenses after the migration;

Migrating To Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount Servers

#

Migrating from a Media Convergence Server (MCS server) to a Cisco UCS  C210 Rack-Mount Servers server follows a procedure that is very similar  to replacing server hardware, which is described in the document Replacing a Single Server or Cluster for Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

#

Table 5 provides an overview of the migration process and references to other pertinent documentation.

#

##

Table 5     Migrating to Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount Servers Process Overview 

#

Configuration Steps

#

Related Procedures and Topics

#

Step 1 

#

Review the document Replacing a Single Server or Cluster for Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

#

This document describes how to replace server hardware, which is very  similar to migrating from an MCS server to a Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount  Servers server. You should perform the document's pre-replacement and  post-replacement tasks, and review the procedures for installing Cisco  Unified Communications Manager and migrating data.

#

Replacing a Single Server or Cluster for Cisco Unified Communications Manager

#

Step 2 

#

Upgrade the MCS server to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 8.0(2) or later.

#

#

Step 3 

#

If  the UCS VM will use a different IP address or hostname than the MCS  server, change the IP address and hostname of the MCS server to the  values that the UCS VM will use.

#

This is required for DRS backup and restore to work.

#

Refer to the topic "Changing the Cluster IP Addresses for Publisher Servers That Are Defined by Host Name" in the Changing the IP Address and Host Name for Cisco Unified Communications Manager guide.

#

Step 4 

#

Perform a DRS backup on the MCS server.

#

#

Step 5 

#

Use  the Answer File Generator to generate a license MAC for the Cisco UCS  C210 Rack-Mount Servers server. The license MAC is required to obtain  licenses for the server.

#

After you obtain the license MAC, you can rehost the licenses for your new server.

#

Customer Impact from New Licensing Procedures.

#

#

Step 6 

#

Create  the virtual machine (VM) on the Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount Servers  server that will be used as the replacement for the MCS node.

#

#

Step 7 

#

Install  the same release of Cisco Unified Communications Manager on the Cisco  UCS C210 Rack-Mount Servers server that you installed on the MCS server.

#

#

#

Step 8 

#

Perform a DRS restore to restore the data backed up from the MCS server to the Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount Servers server.

#

#

Step 9 

#

Upload the new licenses to the Cisco UCS C210 Rack-Mount Servers server.

#

If you did not obtain licenses for the new server already, you must request the licenses first.

#

Note The  previous license will no longer be valid. However, you have 30  additional days in which to use your previous license. Refer to "Obtaining Rehosted Licenses When You Change License MAC Parameters" section.

#

Cisco Unified Communications Manager on Virtualized Servers Licensing

#

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/virtual/servers.html#wp42496

The OVA details are here;

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/OVA_Template_Details_for_Unifed_CM_Release_8.0

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Best Regards

I will try next week. It's gonna take more time but much safer.

I'm not sure if 7.0 install is supported on VM. If it's not, I'll install it on a spare MCS.

Thank you for your answer Hermanus.

We don't support anything below 8.0(2a) on ESXi, and we only support 7.1(4)-7.1(5) on ESXi for the jump upgrade procedure.

As you said, this won't be supported at all by Cisco if you choose to follow that path.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Hi,

Updating this case, I've just got a MCS-7815I-3.0 wich supports our current version (7.0) and also supports 8.0+ for bridged upgrade. My question is, will I be able to backup the current system, restore on the new MCS and, without rehost the licenses, upgrade CUCM to version 8.X, supported for migration to UCS?

Plus, if I need to rehost licenses before upgrading to 8.X, do I need an active UCSS contract to rehost from 7.X to 8.X?

Thanks,

Flavio

Hi,

you would be able to do bridge upgrade from  version 7 to 8 without requiring license .Further, u can restore the backup on new MCS server.

When u restore on new MCS server, you would be required to provide the MAC address of new MCS server. Also, u need to have UCSS contract since it is a major upgrade.

this is what I understand.

regds,

aman

Hi Aman, thanks for your answer.

I have new license for CUCM 8.X.  Do you know if I can at least upgrade to version 8.X and afterwards license the system or if I try it's going to halt the upgrade?

Thanks,

Flávio

Hi ,

What I can say is when u migrate from bridged to new MCS server, generate your licenses prior to restoring backup and after the restoration is done successfully, upload the new licenses.

licenses should have MAC address of new MCS servers.

regds,

aman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: