Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7.1.3(b) to 8.6 Upgrade Questions

michael.lorincz
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I've got a customer running 7.1.3(b) who wants to upgrade to 8.6 and migrate to UCS. After reviewing the upgrade path docs and server spec sheets I've come up with the following.

1) Direct Upgrade from 7.1.3(b) is supported to 8.6(2a)

2) Customer does NOT have UCSS/ESW currently linked

3) Customer server will support 8.6 BRIDGED

The way I see it I have two approaches to this

1) Purchase UCSS and perform UCL a la carte migration ($3 migration part # + 3 years UCSS). The only question I have with this method is do I quote new UCSS skus or find old ones for existing system? What about the ESW the UCSS needs to be linked to?

2) No-UCSS UCL a la carte upgrade ($105/user upgrade sku). My question with this approach is on how the DLUs are factored in? Or will they not be factored and the $105 is the set price.

From your experience which is the better option? What are the gotchas?

I'm inclined to quote direct upgrade on existing server, purchasing upgrade license ($105 per user) and calling it a day. Thoughts?

- Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
  1. You need to quote new UCSS SKUs. The same goes for ESW when it comes for renewl; quote the currently-selling version's SKUs. UCSS must be attached to an ESW contract. Most of the time the customer's ESW support has also lapsed if they have allowed UCSS to. Just quote three years of both and be done.  Note that if the ESW contract lapses/ends UCSS comes crashing down as well.
  2. DLUs are irrelevent to UCL/UWL licensing models. They are just a holdover from the device-based licensing. As soon as you do this upgrade all of the licensing will be user-based. A UCL user license will entitle Jane Doe to feature X.

The ordering guides explain UCL/UWL. My advise is to quote the 3+3 upgrade promo and reinstate ESW/UCSS. This should come out cheaper than the a-la-carte upgrades which are generally 50% of the original product cost. Who wants to rebuy the entire product every other upgrade?

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
  1. You need to quote new UCSS SKUs. The same goes for ESW when it comes for renewl; quote the currently-selling version's SKUs. UCSS must be attached to an ESW contract. Most of the time the customer's ESW support has also lapsed if they have allowed UCSS to. Just quote three years of both and be done.  Note that if the ESW contract lapses/ends UCSS comes crashing down as well.
  2. DLUs are irrelevent to UCL/UWL licensing models. They are just a holdover from the device-based licensing. As soon as you do this upgrade all of the licensing will be user-based. A UCL user license will entitle Jane Doe to feature X.

The ordering guides explain UCL/UWL. My advise is to quote the 3+3 upgrade promo and reinstate ESW/UCSS. This should come out cheaper than the a-la-carte upgrades which are generally 50% of the original product cost. Who wants to rebuy the entire product every other upgrade?

Perfect, just what I was hoping for. Thank you very much!

Regards,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: