cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7.1.5 Pub on MCS7816I4-K9-CMC2 down hardware issue- !!!

Ajith Nayak
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

We have cisco CUCM 7.1.5 Pub on cisco MCS7816I4 server on which Publisher was running.Unfortunately there was hardware failure and server stopped working.

We also have one more cisco MCS7816I4 server on which subscriber is running due to the hardware failure all the phones registerd with subcriber now.

We do not have a backup of Publisher.Can we take a backup of subscriber atleast at this moment to avoid any further damage? as this is a production environment and 600 plus phones are there.Also now internal as well as external conf is stopped.

We are planning to completely change the Publisher hardware to bring pub up however my query is is it possible to copy the files from subscriber directly? or Do I have to reinstall the complete CUCM 7.1.5 software on this new server first than copy all the users and upload in BAT ,copy all route patterns device pool,PT&css gw config etc manually? one by one.?

DB replication wil happen again?

I need some expert advice to fix this problem without making it more complex any further.

Please help..

Ajith

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ajith,

All the supported MCS servers ( HP / IBM ) are listed in the following link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/7800-series-media-convergence-servers/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Yes, CUCM 7.1 will be end of support in June 2015, please check the following link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/end_of_life_notice_c51-695269.html

It is advisable to plan an upgrade to 10.x, 8.x should be avoided as their EOL notice is also out

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/7800-series-media-convergence-servers/eos-eol-notice-c51-730843.html

HTH

Manish

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Suresh Hudda
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ajith,

You need to open a TAC for it if you do not have CUCM backup, TAC engineer can push/restore the backup from subscriber to publisher, I had faced the same issue with CUCM 8.0 publisher, that time TAC engineer helped me on that.

Suresh

Dear Suresh,

I think as per my understanding on MCS server cucm 7X and below version its not possible but on 8 and above onwards its possible I am bit confused on that.

And is it only possible from TAC to push the configuratrion? there is no doc availabe?

and also I have checked all the parameters but conference is not happening is it beacuse the conf bridge config is now no longer registerd with pub?

Hi,

My current Server is having below configurationa

Cisco MCS 7816-I4 Configuration

Component Value

Product part number MCS7816I4-K9-CMC2

Preload Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1

OS included Yes

Processor Single Intel Dual Core Xeon E8400 3.0-GHz 6M L2

Memory 2-GB (two 1-GB) PC2-5300 Error Checking and Correction (ECC) double data rate 2 (DDR2)

Hard disks One 250-GB Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) 3.5-in. cold-swap drive

Remote management IBM Remote Supervisor Adapter (RSA) II Slimline supported, but not included

Due to hardware Failure PUB is down on this.

We have an addiotional Hardware with us on which We are planning to install publisher now I am not able to find E5620 instead E5630 is available on the IBM data sheet will this below hardware ould support?

MAnufacturer IBM

Model Bladecenter HS22-(7870IZS)

Processor Intel (R) Xenon (R) CPU E5620 @2.40GHZ 2.39GHZ

RAM 8 GB

System type 64 bit operating system

8.6(1) added the functionality to do the restore from a subscriber node without root/TAC access: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/116946-technote-product-00.html

Most TAC engineers with root access will not attempt the 7.x subscriber->publisher restore for you as there's no guarantee it will work and is a difficult process.  Usually it's only even attempted for very, very large customers.

Thx Brian for the update on this !!

So do you think best option would be to build a offline setup (pub) on a new server and thn copy all the information and combine it with sub ?

We are planning to do this as I belive there wont be any other options available

There's not really much possible that I can think of.  You can't run BAT to export any data since you need the publisher for that.  You can't add that subscriber to a new publisher as the new publisher will just overwrite all the data.  You'll have to rebuild both nodes to get a fully functioning cluster.  You're looking at building it from scratch or possibly manually copying things over from looking at the subscriber's web pages/SQL Database.

Dear Brian,

Thanks for your help !!

Could you sugest any equivalent server which is ok to run CUCM 7.1.5 in IBM model.

Or what would be a minimum configuration required to run CUCM 7.1.5 because The current MCS server i guess will be end of sell

Is it true that cisco gonna stop support for cucm 7 version from next year? and will it be a wise decision to put the same version or should we go ahead with an upgrade to 8 and above?

Hi Ajith,

All the supported MCS servers ( HP / IBM ) are listed in the following link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/7800-series-media-convergence-servers/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Yes, CUCM 7.1 will be end of support in June 2015, please check the following link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/end_of_life_notice_c51-695269.html

It is advisable to plan an upgrade to 10.x, 8.x should be avoided as their EOL notice is also out

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/7800-series-media-convergence-servers/eos-eol-notice-c51-730843.html

HTH

Manish

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ajith,

As mentioned bu Suresh (+5) TAC may help you in this scenario, however there is no guarantee that the entire database will be restored even through root access. You might end up using BAT to export / import data. Just wanted to check if you have tried running the recovery disk to bring up the Publisher, or has it completely stopped booting up.

HTH

Manish

Hello Manish,

Wel This is one of our old customer and I think they never had taken any backup or niether they have any recovery disc.

We only have CUCM7.1 disc do you think will that disc help us in recovery?

since there is complete hardware failure (MCS server) we are now planning to move to a different Server

Could you just help me with below query with respect to compatibilty

My current Server is having below configuration

Cisco MCS 7816-I4 Configuration

Component Value

Product part number MCS7816I4-K9-CMC2

Preload Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1

OS included Yes

Processor Single Intel Dual Core Xeon E8400 3.0-GHz 6M L2

Memory 2-GB (two 1-GB) PC2-5300 Error Checking and Correction (ECC) double data rate 2 (DDR2)

Hard disks One 250-GB Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) 3.5-in. cold-swap drive

Remote management IBM Remote Supervisor Adapter (RSA) II Slimline supported, but not included

Due to hardware Failure PUB is down on this.

We have arranged another IBM server  on which We are planning to install publisher now I am not able to find E5620 instead E5630 is available on the IBM data sheet will this below hardware would support? cucm 7.1.5

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/7800-series-media-convergence-servers/product_solution_overview0900aecd80091615.html

MAnufacturer IBM

Model Bladecenter HS22-(7870IZS)

Processor Intel (R) Xenon (R) CPU E5620 @2.40GHZ 2.39GHZ

RAM 8 GB

System type 64 bit operating system

Also how we can start the conference ? facility again is it only posible after we make the pub up?

Hi Ajith,

As much as I know, we can not start the conference if publisher is down because all such administrative task has been disabled now.

If you do not have  recovery disc, then you can download from below link.

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282421166&softwareid=282074294&os=&release=7.1%285b%29&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest&i=!pp

For this server, I am also not much sure as this is not customized (OS) server from Cisco. If you do not have any challenge then why don't you start installing CUCM on it and then you will see.

I hope you already done RMA for faulty server, you can push Cisco to get it early as possible.

Suresh

You can download the recovery iso from cisco.com and burn it on a disk and boot up from that disk to run a file system check / correction.

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282421166&flowid=45895&softwareid=282074294&release=7.1%285b%29&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

It is likely that the conference bridge that the phones are trying to use is unregistered because of Pub being down, can you check the MRGL of the IP phones which you are trying to get conferenced and see if it has the conference bridge (un)registered with Pub in the MRG at a higher priority.

HTH

Manish

Yes manish

Its status is unknown and its no longer registered with pub.

However is it not possible to shift this group on sub? as we have primary as pub and we also have secondary at sub however currently they are registerd on sub and it belongs to a different device pool

Dear  manish,

could you just help me with the sever compatiblity matrix? which i have posted is the IBM server which we have is compatible? to install pub? as processor seems less than the current MCS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: