cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7.1(5) to 8.6 Upgrade MCS to UCS

shane.orr
Level 4
Level 4

I am attempting to upgrade from CUCM 7.1(5) to 8.6 while also migrating from MCS to UCS Servers.

The prefered order of operation:

1. Setup UCS Virtual Machine with CUCM 7.1(5)

2. Restore from 7.1(5) MCS Backup to the 7.1(5) UCS VM <------------(Recieving error below)

3. Upgrade while Non Production

4. Test all my apps, gateways, etc...

5. Flash Cut

Fails on Component ----

Feature : CCM

Component : CCMDBServer : CISCOUCM1

----> BEGIN Standard Error

Physical restore failed - function write physical restore failed code -1 errno 0

I though perhaps the OVA/OVF template I used did not size the Hard Drives appropriately so I went through again and selected the 75000 CUCM Node which should have been identical to an MCS 7835.  It sill produced the same error.

Anyone have any ideas on how to backup and restore MCS 7.1 to UCS 7.1 ?

I understand that the supported answer is probably to perform the following but this makes life infinitely more difficult.

1. Setup UCS Virtual Machine 8.6

2. Upgrade Production MCS CUCM 7.1(5) to 8.6

3.  Backup MCS 8.6

4.  Restore UCS 8.6

5. Go through Go Live Procedure

6. Test

Thanks in advance,

Shane

18 Replies 18

I wasnt aware that we could install 7.13 on a VM.

If possible, then a bridged upgrade from 5.1 to 7.1(3) on the MCS. DRS backup and restore to 7.1 VM. Upgrade direct to 8.6 and then License.

thanks for the suggestions

Just as FYI since you mention you were not aware of this, we do not officially support that path.

8.0(2) is the minimum we support on ESXi. Anything before that we do not support.

The path we support is upgrading on physical  HW up to at least 8.0(2) to then perform the DRS backup and restore on VM.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I managed to get a spare MCS Server and installed a fresh Ver of 5.1(3) which matches the existing cluster version.

After performing a DR backup of my production server, and restore onto the server that I will use for my bridge upgrades I cannot logon to the application. The restore was 100% successful and the server was built with the same Hostname and IP address. I can confirm that a logon to the production server was successful prior to taking a backup.

I also tried a reset of the UI_Application password from the console, however still cannot logon to the UCM application.

I have no licenses installed on the spare MCS server.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

kenfulmer
Level 1
Level 1

Just wondering...did you happen to change the server ip address? If so, you will need to change the server reference in CM Admin.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App