Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 7.1 DHCP Question

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I am configuring DHCP on a CUCM 7.1.3 server and have a question re. the setup.

When configuring a server I enter settings such as primary DNS, secondary DNS, Primary TFTP, Secondary TFTP, Domain Name, ARP Cache Timeout etc.

When I add a DHCP Subnet as well as the address info there are spaces to add the settings listed above. If I leave these blank are they inherited from the server settings I configured in the previous step?

This woulkd make sense to me. Unfortunately I cannot try it as I am doing the config over a VPN.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I configured this once as a test and if memory serves, your assumptions are correct. the DHCP subnet will inherit settings from the DHCP server.

I typically recommend not running DHCP on the CUCM cluster. Unless, you are dealing with a deployment where there is not better option. Or you are doing a relatively small deployment and the CUCM cluster is underutilized. Just a thought.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I configured this once as a test and if memory serves, your assumptions are correct. the DHCP subnet will inherit settings from the DHCP server.

I typically recommend not running DHCP on the CUCM cluster. Unless, you are dealing with a deployment where there is not better option. Or you are doing a relatively small deployment and the CUCM cluster is underutilized. Just a thought.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the response. It would seem logical to work this way so I will configure it and sort out any problems later.

Like you I do no like running DHCP on the CUCM servers but in this case we have little choice as we do not have access to the core switches or to the DHCP servers used for the desktop machines.

The CUCM servers are replacing CallManager 4.2 boxes which acted as the phone DHCP servers previously. The new servers are 7835's and have enough grunt to run the DHCP process.

DHCP is one thing that Windows based CCM does better than Linux CUCM - it is not even possible to put a description against the scopes!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: