Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

Hello,

First  off I am new to VOIP...so with that, I just installed CUCM 7 (old I  know, but it's for my home lab).  I was wondering how I intergrate it  into my existing network.  I've been google'ing and searching for weeks  now, and I can't seem to figure it out.

Do  I make that CUCM 7 server the gateway, or leave that on the router?   and then how do I get my phones to register on the CUCM and not my  router? What is the best way to config my router to work with the CUCM?

Thanks for any advice/help.  Configuration examples help a lot.

Everyone's tags (2)
20 REPLIES

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

Do  I make that CUCM 7 server the gateway, or leave that on the  router?   and then how do I get my phones to register on the CUCM and  not my  router?

No you dont need to make CUCM as the gateway. To register phones - add the phones in the CUCM. Under your DHCP scope for the Voice VLAN or your phones you need to enter the tftp server information - enter this command under the DHCP - option 150 ip x.x.x.x

What is the best way to config my router to work with the CUCM?

The routers are added in the CUCM as Voice gateways. You can use H323/MGCP/SIP. Since you are new MGCP is the easiest one and below link has all the information.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/collaboration-voice-video/ip-telephony/blog/2011/11/27/implementing-pstn-gateways-in-cucm

I would also encourage you to go through the below document to expand your knowledge:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/7x/uc7_0.html

Terry

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

So on my router, all I need to do is:

ip dhcp pool Phones

network 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0

option 150 ip 192.168.0.119

default-router 192.168.0.119

Now for the TFTP, the phone firmware is on the CUCM server, do I tell the router to look at the CUCM or do I need to load the files on to the router?

Re: CUCM 7 into VOIP network

Jonathan,

Option 150 should be your CUCM ip. Default router should be your router ip. A high level phone boot up process:

1) Once your phone comes online or is powered up, it will look for DHCP.

2) It will get ip address, default gateway and option 150 from DHCP scope.

3) It will contact the tftp server(cucm) obtained from option 150 and will download its config file.

4) If you have configured the phone in the cucm, it will download the file and register to the cucm according to the config file.

Terry

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

Ok, sorry, new to this.

On the CUCM

Config as the DHCP with option 150

Config CUCM as default gateway within the DHCP Pool

Do I need anything done on the actual rouer itself?

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

+5 Java.

Jonathan - all you need to do on the CUCM is add the phone according to the appropritae model. As long as phones have ip/default gateway and tftp pointing to a CUCM server thats online and has all sevices running - it should register.

I would encourage you to get the concepts first and it would be much easier.

Terry

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

I have with the CME, just new to CUCM.  Thanks for the advice and I will be testing all this out over the next few days.  Thanks again for your help

Cisco Employee

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

Assuming you're familiar with switching and routing, configure that as you wish, nothing special needed for CUCM.

All the phones need is, to have connectivity to the CUCM server, and define the TFTP server via DHCP, or manually, pointing to CUCM.

Same for CUCM, just give it an IP which is valid in your network and all your network info (mask/GW/NTP/etc) and plug it in.

The rest is via CCMadmin

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdi

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

Ok, thanks.  I am pretty familiar with routing and switching, just new to VOIP and CUCM.  Thanks again for the help...I will see what I can manage to do (or mess up) over the next several days.

Cisco Employee

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

Look at it this way, the same your PC/tablet/mobile needs to have configured to work on your network, is the same the phone needs to have + the TFTP server.

IP/mask/default GW/TFTP

Those are the basic 4 settings you need to configure to make your phone work. First 3, it's all up to your config, last one, the IP of the CUCM server.

HTH

java

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdi

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

Does it matter that my main router that is my DHCP server a, D-Link basic home wireless router? 

Cisco Employee

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

As long as you can configure option 150 on it, no, if you cannot, then manually configure the phones with all those settings.

HTH

java

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdi

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

Gotcha thanks...

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

Wow that was super simple...Just got it up and registered.  Thanks again for the help...now to play around and see what I can do with this.

Thanks again guys...

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

Jonathan - glad you managed to register your phone.

please mark the thread as answered if you have no queries.

Terry

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

On the CUCM can I have my voice mail setup there, meaning, the messages will be stored on the CUCM?

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

For voiemail you need either Cisco Unity Connection or you can have Cisco unity express.

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

thanks

CUCM 7 into VOIP network

Not a problem. Please rate the helpful posts and mark the thread as answered.

Can add that to the same sever as my CUCM?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Cisco Employee

No

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdi
Views
Helpful
Replies