Views
Helpful
Replies

cucm 8.5 bulk edit extension numbers.

Amit Singh2000
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys

We have a customer who is moving from 4 digit extension to a 6 digit plan. I have phones registered to call manager with 4 digit number already.

What is the best way to update the extension numbers to adhere new dial plan.

Can anyone share the ideas please.

I was trying to export the config. Update it. And import it. But what I have noticed is that in the export config directory number option doesn't even exists.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

25 Replies 25

Hi.

Using bulk administration and exporting all phones detail, you should obtain what you need.

I've already done this task in the past and I used this tool.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

hi

Thanks for your reply. I have tried that. This generates a .tar file which contains a csv file. When I open that file with excel. I get an error message saying the file is too big. May be row or column exceed the maximum value of 256.

I don't know what to do next.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi

Yes, Excel isn't man enough for this task - if you have users with multiple lines or lots of speed dials itexceeds the maximum columsn available.

You could try OpenOffice which seems better (in some ways - in others it's worse).

Either way you have to take care that the editor you use doesn't make unwanted edits (like inserting quotes or other formatting). I wrote some tools for our organisation for manipulating the CSVs for this type of task.

The other alternative is to use AXL. THe attached zip contains some java code you can extract to a directory, and create yourself an input file with lines like this:

1201,Test2PT,4444

This example would find line 1201 in partition Test2PT, and renumber it to '4444'.

You would run the program by going to a command prompt in the extracted directory and typing this (all one one line of course and using appropriate values to access your CUCM):

extensionsupdatedn.exe -username=ccmadministrator -password=mypassword -hostname=192.168.0.86 -input=ExtensionRemaptest.csv

You should of course do a couple of test extensions before doing a large batch.

Also allow plenty of time for testing etc, and go through anything else that might rely on extension numbers:

• Translation patterns
  • People's CFA/CFNA/CFB settings that may point to particular extension numbers
  • Telephone number attribute in the end user directory

And so on..

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

I have a huge number of DN  to change and unfortunately your software returns me the following error:

C:\c>extensionsupdatedn -username=c -password=c -hostname=192.168.1.59 -input=e1.csv

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: extensionsremapdn/ExtensionsRemapDN

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: extensionsremapdn.ExtensionsRemapDN

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

Could not find the main class: extensionsremapdn.ExtensionsRemapDN.  Program will exit.

Could you have a look ?

Kind regards

Thomas

I'm getting the same. Did you ever resolve this? Did you take another approach?

Hi Aaron,

Do you have any update about the error.. the system return me the same error:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: extensionsremapdn/ExtensionsR

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: extensionsremapdn.ExtensionsRemapDN

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)

Could not find the main class: extensionsremapdn.ExtensionsRemapDN.  Program will exit.

Please, help us.

Thanks

Hi Christian

Not sure what I did wrong there...

Try this one.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

This file works great... many thanks... i test it with 300 extensions and CUCM 6.0.1.2000-4 and Workss!!!

Thanks anew.

No problem!

Aaron Harrison

Principal Engineer at Logicalis UK

Please rate helpful posts...

Hello Aaron,

how can I use your software, if the partition of the DN to remap is ?

I have tried in different ways, but none of them works:

1201,"",4444

1201,'',4444

Regards.

Have you found a solution to this?

Partition is set to here as well.

Aaron... you 'da man!

You have no idea how helpful this is to me!

I found that there is a bug in 8.6 that it doesn't work with IP Communicator (fails with a "DND Option not available"). Ironically, I was just testing it against a experimental IP Communicator.  When I tried a typical 7975.. it worked like a dream.

Thanks!

Glad it helped - if it's useful, please rate it :-)

A lot of thanks Aaron Harrison, I used your program and it worked great in a 8.6 CUCM versión (with 3,500 DNs).

In the other hand, after I made this DN upgrade, all the  endusers remain with the last Directory Number and I can't upgrade them  by BULk without changing the current user PIN.

Is there a way to upgrade the Directory Number in the EndUser without changing the current PIN? Similar as the DN procedure.

Regards