cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

CUCM 8.6.2 /common Partition on read-only mode

Hi Guys.

We have installed a CUCM 8.6.2 on a UCS C210 and everything was looking fine for the last two weeks.

I´ve noticed that "CDR Repository Manager" and "Cisco CAR DB" was not running, so I´ve accessed the CLI to start the "Cisco CAR DB" service.

For my surprise, after logging in, I received the following message:

============================

Command Line Interface is starting up, please wait ...

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /var/log/active/platform/log/cli.bin (Read-only file system)

at java.io.RandomAccessFile.open(Native Method)

at java.io.RandomAccessFile.<init>(RandomAccessFile.java:216)

at com.cisco.iptplatform.fappend.ciscoRollingFileAppender.restoreIndex(ciscoRollingFileAppender.java:100)

at com.cisco.iptplatform.fappend.ciscoRollingFileAppender.setFile(ciscoRollingFileAppender.java:43)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperty(PropertySetter.java:196)

at org.apache.log4j.config.PropertySetter.setProperty(PropertySetter.java:155)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.setParameter(DOMConfigurator.java:530)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseAppender(DOMConfigurator.java:182)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByName(DOMConfigurator.java:140)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.findAppenderByReference(DOMConfigurator.java:153)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseChildrenOfLoggerElement(DOMConfigurator.java:415)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parseRoot(DOMConfigurator.java:384)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.parse(DOMConfigurator.java:783)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java:666)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java:616)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.doConfigure(DOMConfigurator.java:584)

at org.apache.log4j.xml.DOMConfigurator.configure(DOMConfigurator.java:687)

at sdMain.initialize(sdMain.java:479)

at sdMain.main(sdMain.java:646)

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.cisco.iptplatform.fappend.ciscoRollingFileAppender.updateIndex(ciscoRollingFileAppender.java:117)

at com.cisco.iptplatform.fappend.ciscoRollingFileAppender.nextFileName(ciscoRollingFileAppender.java:92)

at com.cisco.iptplatform.fappend.ciscoRollingFileAppender.append(ciscoRollingFileAppender.java:74)

at org.apache.log4j.AppenderSkeleton.doAppend(AppenderSkeleton.java:221)

at org.apache.log4j.helpers.AppenderAttachableImpl.appendLoopOnAppenders(AppenderAttachableImpl.java:57)

at org.apache.log4j.Category.callAppenders(Category.java:187)

at org.apache.log4j.Category.forcedLog(Category.java:372)

at org.apache.log4j.Category.debug(Category.java:241)

at com.cisco.iptplatform.cli.CliSettings.getInstance(CliSettings.java:112)

at sdMain.initialize(sdMain.java:491)

at sdMain.main(sdMain.java:646)

log4j:ERROR No output stream or file set for the appender named [CLI_LOG].

Welcome to the Platform Command Line Interface

VMware Installation:

1 vCPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5649  @ 2.53GHz

Disk 1: 80GB

4096 Mbytes RAM

WARNING:

The /common file system is mounted read only.

Please use Recovery Disk to check the file system using fsck.

============================

In past months, we´ve noticed this error on MCS7800 servers, nothing about UCS servers.

Here is the link for the correction on MCS:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-12955

My doubt is how could be possible to have the same error on my CUCM virtual machine, since his Hard Drive is a vDisk?

Did you already have this same problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Everyone's tags (2)
9 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Hi

You get this type of corruption if the VM is powered off rather than being shut down, or if power is lost to the host for example (or it crashes for whatever reason).

You just need to run the file check on the recovery CD, but at least you don't have to walk to the server to do it (you can just mount the ISO from vSphere).

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Community Member

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your reply.

I´ll test your solution and let you know if it´s solved.

Thanks again.

Rgds!

Community Member

Hi Daniel,

What is the resolution for your case ? . I'm having the same problem for CUCM which is running in UCS Server.

Kindly do the needful.

Thanks in Advance...

Community Member

Hi Daniel,

Hi Daniel,

Can you please confirm if the issue was resolved ?

~Joseph

Cisco Employee

Joseph, if you are also

Joseph, if you are also facing the same issue as in the O.P. then run the Recovery Disk as mentioned in below document and that should fix your issue:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/118948-technote-cucm-00.html

Regards

Deepak

Community Member

Hi Deepak,

Hi Deepak,

Have few questions:

1. Running the recovery disk is the only option ?
    2. As advise by Cisco should we proceed with rebuild/patch upgrade after running the recovery disk.
    3. If its next level patch upgrade, I believe subscribers will be involved. Please confirm and advise plan of action
    4. Roll back plan ?
    5. Time it takes to run and fix using recovery disk and/or patch upgrade.
    6. Services effected during that time - Single cluster with 1 Publisher and 5 subscribers.
  • Please note we have Cisco UCCX, Paging services (AMCOM) and  ARC  services   integrated with CUCM  at application layer.
Community Member

Hi Joseph

Hi Joseph

Running a recovery software helps to fix the file system errors. Cisco also recommends that either you should upgrade the server to the next patch or as a worst case rebuilt. 

You need to maintain same version across all the nodes in the cluster. Starting with Pub followed by Subs.

Super Bronze

IMO it's not a great reason

IMO it's not a great reason to upgrade. No point in change for change's sake.

I'd rebuild the server on the same version.

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Cisco Employee

I really do not see any

I really do not see any reason why you are hesitant to run the Recovery software and rather want to go for the upgrade. If you are really interested in an upgrade rather than running a recovery, there are lot of other things as well other than what you are asking. Running a recovery will not take more than 15 - 20 minutes and can be done in Production Hours but a reboot is recommended once done so you might have to think on it.

Regards

Deepak

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content