Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6.2 upgrade to CUCM 10.5

Cristian Boboc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have to upgrade a virtualized CUCM cluster (PUB, SUB1, SUB2, TFTP) version 8.6.2 SU3 to version 10.5.

As per documentation this should be a direct refresh upgrade and no need of PCD to do it.

Based on the documentation the main steps of the upgrade are:

-changing the OS to RHEL 6 (64-bit) and the Network Adapter from "Flexible" to "VMXNET 3” for the VM (shut down the VM and perform the changes)

-run ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn.

-run ciscocm.free_common_space_v1.1.cop.sgn

-run the 10.5 ugrade file in following order: PUB, TFTP, SUB1, SUB2

The existing 8.6.2 OVA, 7500 users is using 2 vCPU and 80GB for each vdisk (total of 160GB).

The 10.5 OVA, 7500 users requires 1 vCPU and 110GB for the vdisk.

Does anybody know if I have to run the ciscocm.free_common_space_v1.1.cop.sgn to increase the space to 110GB on each vdisk  (even if the total size is 160GB on 2 vdisks which is more then 110GB required on 10.5 OVA)?

Cisco engineer said that this is not possible as well that I can not change the OS to RHEL 6 (64-bit) on the existing server/VM (ESXi 4.1 U3.

He recommends to create a new VM using the new OVA and use the DRS and restore process for performing the upgrade.

Any input/advise will be appreciated!

Thanks.

65 Replies 65

Hi.

As per DRS doc you cannot recover a different version backup.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/10_0_1/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100/CUCM_BK_D220A91D_00_disaster-recovery-system-cucm-100_chapter_011.html

You can install a new 8.6 sever, recover from DRS and then upgrade to 10.5

After upgrade you can change ip address and DNS .

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Carlo (+5). How are you doing..

Please rate all useful posts

I'm doing great thanks my buddy. :)

Hope to see you in Milan next January 

If this can help more our friend, I reproduced an upgrade from 8.6 to 10.5 in my lab and our suggestions are quite all you need.

Cheers

Carlo

Hi guys,

1. Finally  I have all the pack for upgrade. I have 10.5 OVA template and I upload on vmware and tray to install the cucm10.5 on this template but I receive the error from attachment.

I made a static reservation for this machine Ova 10.5  bot working, I place a cucm9.1 ISO and works fine.

I will upgrade this Saturday and I need to install this machine.

Any ideas why i receive this error?

The second question is about update 8.6 to 10.5 

I tray to update my cucm8.6  in home Lab but after 10 hours still installing, maybe i have to do something extra.

I upload first the version3 then UCOS_UNRST_10.5

My question is what is the proper sequence in order to make update from those files:

- ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn

- UCSInstall_UCOS_UNRST_10.5.1.11901-1.sgn.iso

- cucm_10.5_vmv8_v1.8.ova

- ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.5.cop.sgn

- ciscocm.free_common_space_v1.1.cop.sgn

Hi.

Most probably because that iso is  non bootable.

You can use a bootable image an extract the boot info to than upload it to that ISO.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Hii,

I make the ISO bot-able with mkisofs and work now. 

Finalllyyyyyy

Hey,

I have 8.6 Unrestricted on the vmware workstation 10 and I use chrome/Firefox and internet explorer but the same problem. I have to upload  to Pub and Sub the ciscom.refresh_upgrade_v1.5.cop.sgn  or order to be able to update direct to cucm105 or only the  ciscom.version3-key.cop.sgn or ciscom.free.common_spacev1.1.cop.sgn

Thanks for replay

Please go back to the answers I provided earlier in this thread. You should take time to read your upgrade guide documentation before you start doing this. Why are you installing the refresh upgrade COP file? Do you need it? Have you read the documentation on which versions of cucm you need this? Why are you still talking about the free common space partition cop file? Do you need it? I already told you this earlier and I don't know why you are still referring to it. Why did you install the UNREST cucm version? Who advised you to install this? Is this the version you are running in your production system?

You have so many threads opened on one subject. Please focus on one thread, so we don't have to answer in several places.

Read the upgrade guide for cucm10, read the answer I provided above and you will get a better picture of what you need and do not need.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for replay and sorry for bad question.

I have Unrestricted because my subcontractor installed unrestricted on the server

I manage to update my cucm8.6 to cucm10.5 but now i receive after update the error that I have unaligned partition and to introduce the recovery CD. 

I am not able anymore to log in to GUI.

This is what i done:

- ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn

- UCSInstall_UCOS_UNRST_10.5.1.11901-1.sgn.iso

Hi,

which OVA template u used? any changes u made in that.

regds,

aman

Hey Aman,

I not use any template. I manual config the cucm8.6 like in production environment and then upload the cucm10.5 Unrestricted and after update i receive the error. (unaligned partition)

Or I don't understand the question?

Th for replay

Hi,

Is this the way u did?

a. Took back through DRS on existing VM

b. performed migration and then, restored.

Can u share snapshot of error message?

regds,

aman

Hii,

I done the upgrade from the Cisco migration process, but after installing the databases I receive some error and I open  a case to Cisco and they don't now why I cannot update to 10.5

They find this:

12/07/2014 01:09:19 installdb|--- ---  --- --- (Status update -- currently processing table copy confidentialaccesslevelmatrix [401 of 401])|<LVL::Info>

12/07/2014 01:09:19 installdb|--- --- --- Begin Performing Post-Copy Updates And Additions To Target DB (Step 2 of 2)|<LVL::Info>

12/07/2014 01:09:19 installdb|--- --- --- End -- Transforming source database to target database.  For large databases this could take several hours.

12/07/2014 01:09:29 installdb|--- --- Begin Performing Post-Load Target DB Updates (Step 4 of 6)|<LVL::Info>

12/07/2014 01:09:30 installdb|--- --- Begin Load Rules Enforcement Objects Into Target DB (Step 5 of 6)|<LVL::Info>

12/07/2014 01:11:03 installdb|--- --- Begin Performing Final Target DB Updates (Step 6 of 6)|<LVL::Info>

12/07/2014 01:11:03 installdb|--- --- End -- Performing DB Load and Transforming Copy

12/07/2014 01:11:41 IPM|Internal Error, File:ipm.c:2011, Function: ipmReadNormalizedInputLine(), "/usr/local/cm/script/cm-dbl-install RU PostInstall 10.5.1.11901-1 8.6.2.10000-14 /usr/local/cm/ /common/component/database /common/log/install/capture.txt " failed (1)|<LVL::Critical>

12/07/2014 01:11:43 IPM|  end-of-session "Installing database component": 2803.363 secs.|<LVL::Info>

12/07/2014 01:11:43 IPM|Close progress meter "Component Install"|<LVL::Info>

12/07/2014 01:11:43 component_install|Writing database into /common/log/install/component_failed.xml file.|<LVL::Info>

12/07/2014 01:11:43 component_install|/common/log/install/component_failed.xml created : 0|<LVL::Info1

Pls see attachment

Now I have problems with the database replications between the Pub and Sub.

Pub - replicate status 3

Sub - replicate status -4

Try and rebuild your db replication with the following command from the publisher..

utils dbreplication rebuild