Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6.2 upgrade to CUCM 10.5

Cristian Boboc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have to upgrade a virtualized CUCM cluster (PUB, SUB1, SUB2, TFTP) version 8.6.2 SU3 to version 10.5.

As per documentation this should be a direct refresh upgrade and no need of PCD to do it.

Based on the documentation the main steps of the upgrade are:

-changing the OS to RHEL 6 (64-bit) and the Network Adapter from "Flexible" to "VMXNET 3” for the VM (shut down the VM and perform the changes)

-run ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn.

-run ciscocm.free_common_space_v1.1.cop.sgn

-run the 10.5 ugrade file in following order: PUB, TFTP, SUB1, SUB2

The existing 8.6.2 OVA, 7500 users is using 2 vCPU and 80GB for each vdisk (total of 160GB).

The 10.5 OVA, 7500 users requires 1 vCPU and 110GB for the vdisk.

Does anybody know if I have to run the ciscocm.free_common_space_v1.1.cop.sgn to increase the space to 110GB on each vdisk  (even if the total size is 160GB on 2 vdisks which is more then 110GB required on 10.5 OVA)?

Cisco engineer said that this is not possible as well that I can not change the OS to RHEL 6 (64-bit) on the existing server/VM (ESXi 4.1 U3.

He recommends to create a new VM using the new OVA and use the DRS and restore process for performing the upgrade.

Any input/advise will be appreciated!

Thanks.

65 Replies 65

1- utils dbreplication dropadmindb”   from sub. Wait till command completes

2- utils dbreplication dropadmindb” from pub. Wait till command completes.

2- utils dbrepilicaton reset all” from publisher

After I start those steps is switching the SUB from 0/4. Can I give this command ( utils dbreplication rebuild ) on the working environment ?

Thanks a lot for replay 

No,

You should run that single command from the publisher

The command stops, drops and reset database replication in one execution.

"utils dbreplication rebuild is a stop, drop and reset all in one (and faster) -- The architecture of Rebuild is multi-threaded, the total operation time is much shorter than executing three different CLI commands (stop / drop / reset)"

Yes you can. If you have dbreplication issues in your working environment after your upgrade.

Please rate all useful posts

admin:utils dbreplication
      utils dbreplication clusterreset
      utils dbreplication dropadmindb
      utils dbreplication dropadmindbforce
      utils dbreplication forcedatasyncsub
      utils dbreplication quickaudit
      utils dbreplication repair
      utils dbreplication repairreplicate
      utils dbreplication repairtable
      utils dbreplication reset
      utils dbreplication runtimestate
      utils dbreplication setrepltimeout
      utils dbreplication status
      utils dbreplication stop

I cannot find the rebuild, maybe repair is the command ?

admin:file view activelog cm/trace/dbl/sdi/ReplicationStatus.2014_12_08_13_23_16.out

SERVER                 ID STATE    STATUS     QUEUE  CONNECTION CHANGED
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
g_cucmpub_ccm8_6_2_10000_14    2 Active   Local           0
g_ro_tm_sub_01_ccm8_6_2_10000_14    5 Active   Connected       0 Dec  8 09:14:20

---------- Suspect Replication Summary ----------

For table: ccmdbtemplate_cucmpub_ccm8_6_2_10000_14_1_517_pickupgrouplinemap
replication is suspect for node(s):
g_ro_tm_sub_01_ccm8_6_2_10000_14

-------------------------------------------------

utils dbreplication status output

To determine if replication is suspect, look for the following:
        (1) Number of rows in a table do not match on all nodes.

Is your replication OK now? What is the exact version of cucm 10.5? It is strange that you don't have the option.

I manage to resolve the database with utils dbreplication force sync. 

The Cisco recommended to make upgrade with PCD but I don't understand why because in the Cisco documentation I can to to directly upgrade from my version 8.6.2 to 10.5

This is because PCD is better. It  makes the job easier. I would recommend it too. But if you don't know how to use it then do it manually.

I don't have experiences with PCD, my question is why they write in the documentation that you can do the update directly and now they are ask me to make the upgrade with PCD.

It's not ok the approach in my opinion.

Hi,

Basically, PCD is used when u have MCS Hardware and u want to deploy new cluster  on VM or u want to change the IP address of existing cluster to new IP range .

It depends on what issues u can face while doing migration.We did migration from 7 to 10 and faced lot of issues initially but once cluster was discovered , then it was very smooth migration.

regds,

aman

Hi AOK,

I was trying to look for command:

util dbreplication rebuild but could not find.

Latest CLIavailable is for CUCM 10.0(1)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/products-maintenance-guides-list.html

regds,

aman

Hi Aman.

Hi think is missing in documentation because on both my 9.1 and 10.5 I can find it:

admin:utils dbreplication
      utils dbreplication clusterreset
      utils dbreplication dropadmindb
      utils dbreplication dropadmindbforce
      utils dbreplication forcedatasyncsub
      utils dbreplication quickaudit
      utils dbreplication rebuild
      utils dbreplication repair
      utils dbreplication repairreplicate
      utils dbreplication repairtable
      utils dbreplication reset
      utils dbreplication runtimestate
      utils dbreplication setprocess
      utils dbreplication setrepltimeout
      utils dbreplication status
      utils dbreplication stop

Cheers 

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Carlo what specific version of 10.5 are you running? I thought it was strange that it wasn't in 10.5

Hi Carlo,

What exact 10.5 version are you running. I thought it was strange that he didn't see this command in his 10.5.

Hi Deji.

Sorry for late reply

I'm running 10.5.1.1000-7 which should be 10.5(1)

Cheers

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

I manage to upgrade my cluster.

Shutdown the machine and change the OS/Network and hard rive from 80 to 120 GB

Power on the pub and upload the :

-  ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn

- UCSInstall_UCOS_UNRST_10.5.1.11901-1.sgn.iso

Change the Sub setting and the power on to upload :

-  ciscocm.version3-keys.cop.sgn

- UCSInstall_UCOS_UNRST_10.5.1.11901-1.sgn.iso

Upgrade pub/sub without switch version. After upgrade I restart first the Pub then the Sub and everything work.

The only problem I have is with the Corporate Phone Book. Not able to connect to Corporate Phone Book

Hello Gabiulici

Congrats on the upgrade

I did want to do exactly the what the upgrade guide stated, infact i had the same cop file as what you mentioned and no other cop files required due to the version 8.6.2

The ver i was upgrading was 10.5.1.10000-7

My upgrade path was messed up due to in -appropriate guidance from TAC or few support forum statements that misled me

First thing was lot of experts told "Do not attempt to change number of Vdisk or Vdisk size" so when i powered down Pub i did not change 80 to 110GB. i left as such, which resulted in "Not supported - Unalligned partition" after upgrade reboot.

So, engaged TAC to see whats that error, they said, take the PUB's DRS backup. Lets start building new OVA template of fresh 10.5 install and restore DRS from previous upgraded PUB. So built new OVA PUB with 10.5, tried to restore from DRS backup but failed or the newly built 10.5 PUB with exactly same network and security password couldnt recognize TAR files from SFTP. So decided to roll back, powered down this new PUB, powered up previous PUB switched back version to 8.6

I had a question , did you increase to 110Gb on both vdisk or just the 2nd vdisk. did you change the number of vdisk to 1 X 110GB?

Now based on your experience I wanted to try changing the HD from 80 to 110GB. But i need to know should i leave it at 1 X 110GB after increasing or it will 1 X 80 & 1 X 110 GB

Thanks

Chandramauli