Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.6 IPMA Problem

Lasha Lomjaria
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have cucm 8.6 and we are using IPMA service. We have configured 2 services for IPMA. One is Primary and other Secondary.

If I press the Service button and then choose Primary server, phone displays all parameters and it works, but if I select Secondary server phone displays: Host not found.

I checked and Cisco Tomcat service is running. I tried to restart both - Tomcat and IPMA service but phone still displays Host not found.

Also, I can access the Secondary server with web without problem.

Does anybody know solution?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lasha,

The "best practice" as outlined in the attached link and excerpt from the SRND

describes that the secondary becomes active only when the primary has failed
so I believe what you are seeing would be working as expected

As shown in Figure 19-9 Unified CM Assistant functionality is primarily dependent on the Cisco  IP Manager Assistant service and the Cisco CTIManager service. In both  cases, redundancy is automatically built-in using a primary and backup  mechanism. Up to three pairs of active and backup Unified CM Assistant  servers (nodes running the Cisco IP Manager service) can be defined, for  a total of six Unified CM Assistant servers within a single cluster.  Active and backup Unified CM Assistant server pairs are configured using  the Cisco IPMA Server IP Address, Pool 2 Cisco IPMA Server IP Address,  and Pool 3 Cisco IPMA Server IP Address service parameters. With the  configuration of these parameters, the required Cisco IP Manager service  is made redundant. Given a failure of any of the primary Unified CM  Assistant servers, the backup or standby Unified CM Assistant servers  are able to handle Unified CM Assistant service requests. For each pair  of Unified CM Assistant servers, only one Unified CM Assistant server  can be active and handling request at a given time, while the other  Unified CM Assistant server will be in a standby state and will not  handle requests unless the active server fails.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/cmapps.html#wp1043843

You would have to shut down the primary service to do your tests.

Cheers!

Rob

"Your life is worth much more than gold." 

- Bob Marley

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Lasha,

The "best practice" as outlined in the attached link and excerpt from the SRND

describes that the secondary becomes active only when the primary has failed
so I believe what you are seeing would be working as expected

As shown in Figure 19-9 Unified CM Assistant functionality is primarily dependent on the Cisco  IP Manager Assistant service and the Cisco CTIManager service. In both  cases, redundancy is automatically built-in using a primary and backup  mechanism. Up to three pairs of active and backup Unified CM Assistant  servers (nodes running the Cisco IP Manager service) can be defined, for  a total of six Unified CM Assistant servers within a single cluster.  Active and backup Unified CM Assistant server pairs are configured using  the Cisco IPMA Server IP Address, Pool 2 Cisco IPMA Server IP Address,  and Pool 3 Cisco IPMA Server IP Address service parameters. With the  configuration of these parameters, the required Cisco IP Manager service  is made redundant. Given a failure of any of the primary Unified CM  Assistant servers, the backup or standby Unified CM Assistant servers  are able to handle Unified CM Assistant service requests. For each pair  of Unified CM Assistant servers, only one Unified CM Assistant server  can be active and handling request at a given time, while the other  Unified CM Assistant server will be in a standby state and will not  handle requests unless the active server fails.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/cmapps.html#wp1043843

You would have to shut down the primary service to do your tests.

Cheers!

Rob

- Bob Marley

Thanks a lot Rob!

Hi Lasha,

You are most welcome my friend

Cheers!

Rob

- Bob Marley