Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 8.X Upgrade to CUCM 8.6.2.23900

Carl Ratcliffe
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Support Community

I have the following issue that we have run out of ideas for and as of yet havent got anywere with Cisco TAC.

We have a CUCM cluster running 8.5.x and have upgraded to 8.6.2.23900 and we are now at the stage of introducing an additional node to the cluster. We have the 8.5.x bootable disc and we have the upgrade patch to 8.6.2.23900. We run the bootable disc then select install the patch as part of the install but we get the error 'cannot install patch'. We then remebered that as part of the upgrade from 8.5 or earlier to 8.6 you need an upgrade refresh file ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.1.cop.sgn so we figured this could be the reason for the patch failing.

We try and install the 8.5 bootable disc and select install patch again wanting to install the refresh file but CUCM does not recognise this file when it looks at the SFTP / FTP folder it only see's the 8.6.2.23900 upgrade file.

Has anyone come across this situation before and know how to get round it, or even advise if the reason the patch to 8.6.2.23900 is failing is because it defintley requires the refresh file or could it be something else.

Easy answer is to get a 8.6 bootable disc but it doesnt seem to be orderable on the Cisco PUT and time is against me.

Thanks, Carl

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Carl,

I believe you are seeing this restriction;

CUCM Install Guide needs to mention upgrade during install restrictions

CSCud91310

Symptom:

When applying a patch during install of a CUCM node  (ie upgrade during install) the upgrade is blocked with an error "Unable  to install patch(s) from host... With an Upgrade during Install, if the  upgrade patch version is X.Y then the install version must be X.Y as  well instead of A.B"

Conditions:

Beginning with CUCM 8.6  this type of upgrade is only allowed if the major and minor versions of  the "from" version and the "to" version are the same.

Example:

Patching an 8.6(1) install to 8.6(2) is allowed.

Patching a 9.0(1) install to 9.1(1) is blocked.

Workaround:

If  the major/minor upgrade is required then complete the install using the  original install media and once it is complete apply the upgrade patch  as you would any other production system.

This defect is only  intended to document this behavior in the "Installing Communications  Manager" document.  It is not intended to change this behavior in the  product.

Cheers!

Rob

"Your life is worth much more than gold." 

- Bob Marley

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Carl,

I have never come across this situation.Hope u are installing UNRST 8.6(2a)SU3

I think u need to install ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.2.cop.sgn instead of ciscocm.refresh_upgrade_v1.1.cop.sgn

can u cross-check once?

regds,

aman

Hi Aman

We are installing Restricted 8.6(2a)SU3 the same as the rest of the cluster.

We have tried 1.1 and 1.2 of the refresh file but still the same.

Thanks, Carl

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Carl,

I'll just add a note to the good tips from our friend Aman (+5 "A")

You definitly need the refresh .cop when moving from a pre-8.6 version

so that part is a must. 

I'm quite surprised that TAC hasn't offered up a bootable version

for download for you. Maybe time to escalate the case.

I really don't recommend this last step........but if you really are is a mess

you could make your own bootable .iso.

Have a look at this thread with a link to Michael's blog, in it he

explains how to make a bootable .iso for lab purposes;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3059280#3059280

Cheers!

Rob

- Bob Marley

Hi Rob,

thanks for the rating.

This means either we go with 8.6.2 bootable or other way is to install CUCM 8.5 with available bootable and then, upload the refresh patch and finally , upgrade to 8.6.2.23900-10 .So, we cannot go with what Mr. Carl is doing.Please correct me .

regds,

aman

Hi Aman / Rob

Thanks for your responses.

I cannot do it that way Aman because for the node installation to complete it has to communicate with the cluster and it cannot do this if the versions are different so i have to run the patch at the time of install.

Rob, yes your 100% correct the refresh is needed, iv installed it quite a few times for upgrades just never had a situation like this. I may have a go at creating the bootable from the link you sent me whilst i wait for TAC which will hopefully be a link to a download.

Thanks, Carl

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Aman,

I think that what Carl is trying to do is really adding a new node to an

existing cluster. If you look at Step 6 below we see that the upgrade/patch

during install is not really offered up as a viable solution;

Add a New Node to an Existing Cluster

To add a new node to an existing cluster, follow the steps in Table 1.

Table 6     Adding a New Node to an Existing Cluster 

Task
For More Information

Step 1 

Before you make any changes to your existing cluster, be sure that you have a current backup file.

For more information, refer to the Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide.

Step 2 

Perform all pre-installation tasks that apply to your site.

For a list of pre-installation tasks, see Table 1.

Step 3 

Ensure that you have the appropriate number of licenses to support adding a new node.

For more information on specifying the required number of licenses, refer to the License Unit Calculator chapter in the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide.

Step 4 

Before you install the new node, ensure that you have configured it on the first node.

From Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration on the first node, choose System > Server and configure the IP address for the subsequent nodes. For more information, see the Cisco Unified Communications Manager Administration Guide.

Step 5 

Record the configuration settings for each server that you plan to install.

To record your configuration settings, see Table 10.

Step 6 

You must install the same software version on all nodes in the cluster.  If you do not have the correct version on DVD, you need to download  updated software from Cisco.com.

Step 7 

Follow the procedure to begin installing the software from the DVD to your server.

See "Starting the Installation" section.

Step 8 

Follow the procedure for performing the basic installation.

See "Performing the Basic Installation" section.

Step 9 

When the First Node Configuration displays, choose No to configure the new server as a subsequent node.

See Step 10 in the "Performing the Basic Installation" section.

Step 10 

Follow the procedure for configuring a subsequent node.

See the "Configuring a Subsequent Node" section.

Step 11 

Perform all post-installation tasks that apply to your site.

See Table 13.

Step 12 

If your cluster is running in mixed mode, ensure that you have your USB  key and the latest CTL Client installed on the PC that you use to  communicate with the first node. After you finish installing the new  node, you will need to update the CTL file on all nodes.

For more information, see "Applying Security to a New Node in a Secure Cluster" section.

from this 8.6 install guide;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/install/8_6_1/install/cmins861.html#wp803301

Cheers!

Rob

- Bob Marley

Hi Rob,

thanks for sharing the info[+5].

regds,

aman

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Carl,

I believe you are seeing this restriction;

CUCM Install Guide needs to mention upgrade during install restrictions

CSCud91310

Symptom:

When applying a patch during install of a CUCM node  (ie upgrade during install) the upgrade is blocked with an error "Unable  to install patch(s) from host... With an Upgrade during Install, if the  upgrade patch version is X.Y then the install version must be X.Y as  well instead of A.B"

Conditions:

Beginning with CUCM 8.6  this type of upgrade is only allowed if the major and minor versions of  the "from" version and the "to" version are the same.

Example:

Patching an 8.6(1) install to 8.6(2) is allowed.

Patching a 9.0(1) install to 9.1(1) is blocked.

Workaround:

If  the major/minor upgrade is required then complete the install using the  original install media and once it is complete apply the upgrade patch  as you would any other production system.

This defect is only  intended to document this behavior in the "Installing Communications  Manager" document.  It is not intended to change this behavior in the  product.

Cheers!

Rob

- Bob Marley

Hi Rob,

gr8.

thanks for sharing your findings...[+5]

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

You're always welcome buddy!

Cheers!

Rob

- Bob Marley

Thanks Rob for taking the time to help. Looks like my best option is to get hold of the 8.6 bootable disc. May also give your other link a try and make a bootable, knowing how to do that could come in handy.

Thanks, Carl Ratcliffe

Hi Carl,

You are most welcome my friend! Glad to be of some small help here

Cheers!

Rob

- Bob Marley

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: