Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM 9.1 Clustering

clark white
Level 2
Level 2

Dears,

• I have 4 Nos UCS 220M3 servers, I need to deploy in 2 location over the WAN (CUCM CLusterng over WAN), I need to design according to Cisco best practice, for ex how many publisher will be and how many subscriber will be can anybody write a brief point how to design.

•      Is it there is a way for the existing configuration of previous version of CUCM can be migrated to 9.1 on different hardware mentioned above.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok, now thats a supported and valid upgrade plan.

2 don't forget to adjust the OS to RHEL 3

3 downloads at cisco.com has the file you need to use, use v 1.2

5 once finished the upgrade and partition swap, change OS to RHEL 5

6 DRS the vms you upgraded, shut them down, fresh install once again all the same VMs with same info, then DRS restore

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

25 Replies 25

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I suggest you read Cisco CUCM SRND as this is nicely explained there.

There can only be 1 publisher in a cluster, so you need to determine with location is best suited for it

Number of Subs depends on your sizing which you should do for each deployment. Cisco supports 1:1 and 2:1 models, where for each call processing sub there is either one backup or for each pair of subs there is 1 backup. When splitting the cluster across the wan you need to consider where the backups will be.

Also, don't forget to ensre you have adequate bandwidth and latency to split the cluster, i.e. 80 ms delay and 1.5 mbps for each remote sub from pub for ICCS traffic, plus 1.5 mbps for db replication, so if you have 2 remote subs you would require 2*1.5mbps +1.5 mbps = 4.5mbps, again well described in SRND.

As to your last question, absolutely you can migrate, however it all depends on what version you are migrating from as to how you would tackle it.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Clark,

You can deploy one Publisher along with Subscriber at Central site with one Subscriber at each remote site keeping in mind RTT delay

Secondly,for migration , u can refer to Drive to 9 link which would give detail on migration.

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-35585

regds,

aman

Dears,

I am very confused for the migration, some of the question in my mnd which are killing me,

• Already network is running on cucm & unity connection (not aware version) with more than 700 users, every small features of CUCM & Unity are confgured for those 700 users instead of re configuring the whole features again in new setup  what i want is to take all the data of the existing CUCM & Unity connection and put in new UCS chasis for CUCM & Unity 9.1. so there will be a hardware change with the new version of CUCM, what will be my first step for the migration,

Can anybody give me hints in bullets please so that atleast i should start on reading.

Thanks

HI Clark,

You should first know the existing CUCM and unity version so that u can refer the software compaibility matrix [in case if upgrades is required] and also, hardware can be considered.

You can also refer Drive to 9 program.

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-34081

regds

aman

Dears Aman,

Thanks for the link,  I have the below query for the document provided.

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-34081

• I have read the above document drive to 9 program overview, and on page number 12 it says JUMP upgrade from 6.1 to 9.1 on UCS servers, I have some question please answer.
  • 6.1 is not supported on VMware and if any workaround then the below answers can be answered.

• I need to install CUCM 6.1 on my new UCS C220 with the same IP of the CUCM currently running.how can it possible to keep same IP address in one network.???

• How can i use the existing license of CUCM 6.1 ???? it cannot be uploaded in new UCS server because of MAC

• How can i transfer the database of the CUCM 6.1 to 9.1

Thanks

Hi Clark,

please refer page 13 :

regds,

aman

HI CLark,

Alternatively,

a.u can upgrade your existing CUCM 6.1 to 8.0(3)  .take backup of 8.x

b. u can build UCS wth 8.0(3)  and then, restore backup taken instep a.

c.now upgrade to desired version.

d. share your exising license file on version 6 with licensing team so that they can provide lic file for 9.x

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-30825

regds,

aman

• I have read the above document drive to 9 program overview, and on page number 12 it says JUMP upgrade from 6.1 to 9.1 on UCS servers, I have some question please answer.
  • 6.1 is not supported on VMware and if any workaround then the below answers can be answered.

A: It is supported for this particular upgrade method

• I need to install CUCM 6.1 on my new UCS C220 with the same IP of the CUCM currently running.how can it possible to keep same IP address in one network.???

A: You need to build a separate lab network, all is explained in the jump upgrade docs

• How can i use the existing license of CUCM 6.1 ???? it cannot be uploaded in new UCS server because of MAC

A: You do not load any licenses

• How can i transfer the database of the CUCM 6.1 to 9.1

A: You upgrade from 6.1(x) to 9.1.(2), you transfer the DB from MCS to UCS with DRS

Review the actual procedure and then come back if you have further questions

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-35653

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Thanks for Both of you.

After reading the links i have come to one path please confirm i am on correct path.

1. Upgrade 6.1 to 8.5. upgrade from 6.1 to 8.5 is supported and it should be done through the upgrade CD shipped with CUCM 8.5 kit once upgrade to 8.5 all license will be carry forwaded from 6.1 to 8.5??????
  2. upgrade the subscriber from 6.1 to 8.5
  3. Do the backup for the currently installed CUCM 8.5
  4. Install a fresh ESXi host and and create a VM for the new CUCM 8.5 fresh installation in a LAB environment
  5. After sucessful installation restore the backup Want to know the procedure how it can be done?????
  6. Once the restore is successful corporate will run on the LAB VM 8.5 by removing the original which was migrated from 6.1 to 8.5.
  7. With No complains Will upgrade to 9.1 from CUCM 8.5
  8. Install all the new PAK which was ordered for CUCM 9.1

Thanks

Hi Clark,

Please find the replies

1. Upgrade 6.1 to 8.5. upgrade from 6.1 to 8.5 is supported and it should be done through the upgrade CD shipped with CUCM 8.5 kit once upgrade to 8.5 all license will be carry forwaded from 6.1 to 8.5??????   Please do check the software compatibility matrix prior to upgrading.You need to know the exact CUCM versions.After the versions are known, if patch is available on CIsco provided CD, please upload on PUB else u need to download from Cisco site.Do check for Restricted /UNRST version
  2. upgrade the subscriber from 6.1 to 8.5. After the PUB is upgraded to new 8.x version , switch over PUB to 8.x so that Subscribers can be upgraded.
  3. Do the backup for the currently installed CUCM 8.5.  U can take backup through DRS.
  4. Install a fresh ESXi host and and create a VM for the new CUCM 8.5 fresh installation in a LAB environment
  5. After sucessful installation restore the backup Want to know the procedure how it can be done????? you need to rsetore backup through DRS as taken in step 3.
  6. Once the restore is successful corporate will run on the LAB VM 8.5 by removing the original which was migrated from 6.1 to 8.5.
  7. With No complains Will upgrade to 9.1 from CUCM 8.5 Prior to upgrading , consume all your DLUs and u can use USer count Tool [UCT, downloadable from Cisco site]
  8. Install all the new PAK which was ordered for CUCM 9.1

regds,

aman

Dear Aman,

1. having a look on the this link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr1.pdf if i am not wrong for the link information i can upgrade 6.1(4) to 8.5(1).------- Actually can you put some shade on restricted and unrestricted version I am not aware what does it mean.
  2. upgrade the subscriber from 6.1 to 8.5. After the PUB is upgraded to new  8.x version , switch over PUB to 8.x so that Subscribers can be  upgraded -----OK
  3. Do the backup for the currently installed CUCM 8.5.  U can take backup through DRS ----- OK
  4. Install a fresh ESXi host and and create a VM for the new CUCM 8.5 fresh installation in a LAB environment---OK
  5. After sucessful installation restore the backup -----Want to know the procedure how it can be done????? you need to rsetore backup through DRS as taken in step 3.--- when the backup is done it makes 4 or 5 file of zip, from that which file to restore on the new system.  hope i have to add all one by one,and that is the real procedure ????  I have never done restore before so want to be more clear incase i go wrong somewhere.
  6. Once the restore is successful corporate will run on the LAB VM 8.5 by removing the original which was migrated from 6.1 to 8.5.---OK
  7. With  No complains Will upgrade to 9.1 from CUCM 8.5 Prior to upgrading ,  consume all your DLUs and u can use USer count Tool [UCT, downloadable  from Cisco site]----NICE
  8. Install all the new PAK which was ordered for CUCM 9.1--OK

• Unity 4 which is windows based can be mgrated to Unity connection 9

Thanks

Hi Clark,

you can refer the link for Restricted and UNRST

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2190136

After u restore backup , u would get 24  files consisting of TFTP,CCMDB,MOH,Platform and drfcomponent.xml for each server in a cluster consisting of three servers .Pub would have 9 files, SUB 1 and SUB 2  wud have 7 files each .The backup files would have name as datefolloed by time at which backup was initiated and hsotname of each server.

While restoring the backup , u would  get a single tar file .

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-3182

You need to configure Disaster recovery in Call manager.Also, you need to have sftp server [freeftpd]running in backgroud on PC , to take backup and restore backups.

regds,

aman

Dear Aman

For example suppose any installed version how can we know it is restricted or unrestricted??? where to navigate in call manager.

Aman i am much worried about after upgrading producton CUCM server 6.1  to 8.(X) all licenses of 6.1 will be carry forwarded to 8.X , OR after rebooting to 8.X it will show me the system is running is demo verson in which my half of the phones will be unregistered and there will be a major production loss. please confirm this point as this is very important

After u restore backup , u would get 24  files

I have to run backup on every server for example publisher and suscriber 1 and subscriber 2

While restoring the backup , u would  get a single tar file

As per your above reply you said 24 files total from every server,

then at the time of restoration how it can be only one sngle tar file ??? I hope you mean to say to  create  a single tar and upload it.

Thanks

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you log in it will say UNRSTR, otherwise it's restricted
If you pretend to upgrade the production system and want to run the services, you need a feature sw license for 8.x

Easiest way to understand how the backup works, is to do it, you'll see for yourself first hand

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

HTH

java