cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM and IOS compatibility - need suggestions

michaelzhq
Level 2
Level 2

A client has CUCM 5.1 with 2811 MGCP gateway (IOS 12.4). They have planned to upgrade to CUCM 8.6 in the near future. But they got call quality issue since last week and we narrow down it would be issue related to the gateway.

My questions:

1) If we replace the 2811 gateway with a new 2911 (IOS 15.1), can the new 2911 work with CUCM 5.1?

2) If IOS 15.1 is not compatible with CUCM 5.1, may I downgrade IOS 15.1 to 12.4 on 2911? Will the licenses with 2911 be lost after downgrade?

Thanks.

Michael

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Short answers:

1. No, not with MGCP, you will either have to upgrade CUCM or convert to H323

2. No, G2 routers 29XX require 15.0+ IOS

The bigger question here is why do you assume replacing a platform is going to resolve your QoS issues, that is very unlikely, can you tell us how did you come to this conculsion?

Chris

View solution in original post

We went through this about 2 years ago. Your best best is going to be to upgrade to CUCM 7.1.5 at the lowest.

If memory serves me correctly 2900s are not officially supported on 12, in conjunction with CUCM, TAC would be best to confirm.

With regards to the licenses they are stored separately from IOS

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Looks like you do not have "network-clock-select" which is needed to properly assign clocking order, this is a very common omision that results in the issue you are describing.  I suggest you add it and see if it resolves your issue.

HTH,

Chris

10 Replies 10

anchoudh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

Use the below link for your listed queries,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps259/product_data_sheet0900aecd8057f2e0.pdf

Hope it helps,

Anand

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Short answers:

1. No, not with MGCP, you will either have to upgrade CUCM or convert to H323

2. No, G2 routers 29XX require 15.0+ IOS

The bigger question here is why do you assume replacing a platform is going to resolve your QoS issues, that is very unlikely, can you tell us how did you come to this conculsion?

Chris

Thanks Chris for your answers and questions.

The issue is PSTN call can't connected or static noise. We see errors when show controller T1 (44 or 45 slip seconds every data interval) . We have Telco tested the T1 line on site, no errors on network side. Then we replaced the T1 card, doesn't help either. So we think it might be something with gateway itself. I will test the T1 with a new 2911 router this afternoon.

Please share your any different thoughts.

Michael

It's possible there are bad DSPs on your router, but the likelihood is small.

How many T1 lines do you have on this router, how is clocking configured?

Do you have similar config:

network-clock-participate wic 0

network-clock-select 1 T1 0/0/0

what does "show network-clocks" show?

Chris

Thanks.

Just like to confirm. Is the following configuration required even though there is only on T1?

Correct.

Chris

It's a small site. There is only one T1. How can I verify if there are bad DSPs?

"network-clock-participate wic 0" is configured.

voice#show network-clocks

Network Clock Configuration

---------------------------

Priority      Clock Source    Clock State     Clock Type

10          Backplane       GOOD            PLL

Current Primary Clock Source

---------------------------

Priority      Clock Source    Clock State     Clock Type

10          Backplane       GOOD            PLL

Looks like you do not have "network-clock-select" which is needed to properly assign clocking order, this is a very common omision that results in the issue you are describing.  I suggest you add it and see if it resolves your issue.

HTH,

Chris

Sorry,

Just like to confirm. Is the following configuration required even though there is only one T1?

We went through this about 2 years ago. Your best best is going to be to upgrade to CUCM 7.1.5 at the lowest.

If memory serves me correctly 2900s are not officially supported on 12, in conjunction with CUCM, TAC would be best to confirm.

With regards to the licenses they are stored separately from IOS

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: