cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Backup Doesn't delete the old backup

senanforest
Level 1
Level 1

When I check the SFTP server I find old backup, why the Call manger doesn't replace the old backup with a new one?

Thanks

8 Replies 8

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Senam,

The call manager won't delete the old backup which is lying on your PC [on which SFTP software is running].

If u need to delete backups , then, u need to manually delete it.

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

Thanks very much for your quick repond. how do I know which file I need to delete and which one I have to keep because I don't want to delete them all?

Why the call manager doesn't delete the old back up or overwrite the current one? and what does't this mean Number of backups to store on Network Directory? Thanks

Hi senam,

The backups are created by format YY/MM/DD followed by time [at which u have taken the backup] and hostname of server in a cluster and the component like TFTP, CCMDB,PLATFORM]

Suppose if u have a cluster of three servers [one PUB and two SUBs] then, there would be 24 files created during backup.

7 files for SUB each, 9 files for PUB and one drf component .

Number of backups to store on Network Directory : if the value has been kept as say 4, then, while taking fifith backup, first backup would get deleted from folder where backup is being taken.

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

Yes I have 24 files on March 2013 and the same on June. Could you please explain what are SUB and PUB mean I know they are subscriber and publisher but don't know what they do or what are they exactly. Many Thanks

Erick Bergquist
Level 6
Level 6

Check the permissions of the account used for SFTP server and SFTP server itself to see if the account has rights to delete files.

Try using FileZilla and SFTP to the server with same username and see if you can delete files.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi ebergquist,

I'll try delete them from the SFTP.

Thanks

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

'Number of backups to store on Network Directory' is set to 3 in my case.  I fully understand that each of my servers (2 SUBs and a PUB and some others) will each place multiple files on the backup server (based on what I select to be backed up).  But, it's not deleting the old files.   I just checked and now I have 5 complete sets of files/backups and from what I understand, it should have deleted the two older sets.  

The login/password I use for the backups is the same login/password I use to log into the backup server (Linux) via Filezilla to manually delete the old backups I don't want to keep.  So it's not a problem with the login/password for the backup server having permissions to delete those files because I can do it in Filezilla just fine.

Any other ideas on why it's not deleting the old backups?   I'm on CUCM 11.5.1 by the way.  

EDIT:  I just found this post and I will try the solution mentioned there.  I think that is most likely the problem I have.  https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/other-collaboration-voice-and/issue-with-disaster-recovery-retention/td-p/2402214

I have encountered this a few times now. So long as folder permissions are correct, (which if it can write to the directory they most likely are) I have found the only solution to be to delete the backup schedule, delete the backup device, and recreate them in CUCM/Unity, etc.