cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM conversion from DLU to CUWL

mmertens
Level 1
Level 1

When do the "technical" aspect of the license conversion, do you just upload new CUWL license(s)? Since they look just like DLUs (but with larger numbers) when you do the "license unit report"; after uploaded, I would think the license unit report would show the DLUs + the CUWL numbers. Is there a way to delete the DLU license files? (I'd assume a CUCM service restart would be in order after the swap).

Has anyone stepped through this procedure?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is nothing you need to do on the server end. If anything, you will be adding DLUs to the server. Basically certain number of DLU's are for registering phones.

So for example, if I had 7940 that takes up 4 DLUs (or whatever it is). Then the customer wanted to have IPC communicator for that same line, another 3 DLUs and CUPC for that person, 1 DLUs. So total is 8 DLUs needed.

To make it easier for purchasing, the CUWL license is 1 license to purchase, but includes 8 DLUs that get installed on the server (all examples here). When you load the DLUs, you will have more DLUs than you need unless you max out the example above.

make sense?

So if Cisco shows you have 2500 DLUs that you purchased or have on your server and the backend licensing and you convert them to CUWL, to make up the difference, they may give you 1000 DLUs to balance it out to 3500 DLUs. You may get a PAK key with 1000 DLUs to install on the server and now it is "technically" a CUWL licensed.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is nothing you need to do on the server end. If anything, you will be adding DLUs to the server. Basically certain number of DLU's are for registering phones.

So for example, if I had 7940 that takes up 4 DLUs (or whatever it is). Then the customer wanted to have IPC communicator for that same line, another 3 DLUs and CUPC for that person, 1 DLUs. So total is 8 DLUs needed.

To make it easier for purchasing, the CUWL license is 1 license to purchase, but includes 8 DLUs that get installed on the server (all examples here). When you load the DLUs, you will have more DLUs than you need unless you max out the example above.

make sense?

So if Cisco shows you have 2500 DLUs that you purchased or have on your server and the backend licensing and you convert them to CUWL, to make up the difference, they may give you 1000 DLUs to balance it out to 3500 DLUs. You may get a PAK key with 1000 DLUs to install on the server and now it is "technically" a CUWL licensed.

Your last paragraph really answered it; Cisco provides the difference of DLUs, so we're not on the "honor system" to delete the old "DLU" DLUs.

THANKS!

it's not well documented anywhere, but your local Cisco SE should pretty much say the same thing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: